Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Default Re: 1882 Black Powder hunt at Weltevreden farm 2017 ( 3rd hunt)

[QUOTE=Patocazador;1173622

I noticed that Dave ___? had a lever action Winchester. Was it an original 1876 model complete with black powder cartridges?[/QUOTE]
    David Bellringer - our own Engelsman, hunted with a .44-40 winchester lever action rifle that he bought from a family collection somewhere in the Free State. He loaded it - as tradition dictates- with 40 gr FFFG black powder behind a 200 gr lead bullet.

At my misgivings about the tiny cartridge's suitability on kudu, he answered: " It shoots a 200 gr bullet at 1200 ft/s - if that is not enough, in the right place, nothing is!"

Banned

I see it was quite enough to down his pig.

The lever action Winchesters in .44-40 were very popular in America's "old west", mainly because they only had to pack one caliber of cartridges for their revolver and their rifle.

User

Members, may I share my good fortune with you. I just received a brand new Ardessa Spain Hunter .50 cal Black powder rifle with all the trimmings/bullets/possibles bag/re-loading equipment from my good friend Wallace Vosloo..now I have my own muzzle loader...

Banned

Whoop-whoop! Thanks to the good doc.

User

Default 1882 Black Powder hunt at Weltevreden farm 2017 ( 3rd hunt)

Congratulations, Gert, for starting and running this initiative.

Thanks also for the wonderful write up on this year's hunt, which I have just read with interest!

Congratulations too to the hunters in their successful hunts.

Please keep the news and updates flowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Thank you kindly Taylis, please read the following threads as well, it is about the previous hunts.

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthread.php?62024-The-Great-1800-era-Weltevreden-Black-powder-Rifle-hunting-Expedition-of-May-2015

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...ltevreden-2016

Thank you for taking the time to read about these hunting expeditions. As pointed out previously,,this is not only about hunting for a week, it is living a life , past many,many years ago, it is not a re-enacting, it is living how the old people lived.

User

Members, this last 1882 Era Black Powder rifle hunt at Weltevreden really was a memorable hunt .I am extremely fortunate to have received a Ardessa Spain, Woodsman .50 cal muzzle loader rifle from Wallace Vosloo as a gift . Including all the trimmings, bullets and a possibles leather bag as well. I took some photos of this rifle with all the extras as well as my Traditional bow, it is a Osage Tonkin bamboo-backed , reflex/deflex with a Coco-bola grip hunting bow.
    This will from today be my Traditional hunt outfit..

Banned

75-80 grains of 3F black powder is the most accurate in my .50 caliber rifles. I use a very tight (thick) patch for the 1st shot which is generally the only shot you get. I follow that with thinner patches (.015 pillow ticking) for any subsequent shots.

Muzzleloaders surprise some folks with their excellent accuracy. That buckhorn rear sight can be very useful for estimating at least 2 distances.

User

Patocazador, do you shoot conical cast bullets as well?

Banned

I shoot .50 cal maxi-balls that I cast myself out of X-ray backings. It's not pure lead .. a little harder. I've never had to trail a deer more than 50 yrds when shooting one with these. Sometimes they just knock the deer down dead. They are devastating on deer, however, they may not function as well on a gemsbok or wildebeest.

An inexpensive mold is available from Lee .. about $22 US.

I see you have Powerbelts. I have never bought one due to the poor reviews I've read on the bullets' failing to bring down larger deer. It seems they act almost like a FMJ according to what I've read. Since you have them, you might as well try them for yourself.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast