Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Entering the sport of wingshooting

Hi all. I was hoping somebody could advise me. After doing a fair amount of antelope hunting, I would now love to learn about and maybe get into wingshooting.

I read a few threads and it seems like the best/easiest way to get in to the sport is to join SA wingshooting. It would be great if I could tag along as a spectator on a few shoots before I get my hands on a shotgun.

What would be a good firearm to purchase for say pigeon and duck hunting? Let's call it a Howa of 'shotguns'. I understand that laws differ in all/most provinces,regarding firearms that are legal to hunt with. I would probably do most of my hunting in Gauteng and Limpopo.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Default Re: Entering the sport of wingshooting

You could also join CTSASA.
    As you will more then likely also be shooting alot of clays for practice.

I'll have a look at them, thanks.

Check SA Wingshooters - they have regular clinics etc. What is your shotgun budget?

User

I am first and foremost a wingshooter (having been schooled in it from the age of about 6 by my father and a number of family friends). I have also hunted (done wingshooting) and done clay pigeon shooting (viz. trap, skeet, olympic skeet etc) and sporting clay shooting (viz. clay pigeon shooting in a rough environment where the clays are made to simulate different types of live birds) both in the UK and SA and have been a member of SA Wingshooters for a number of years.

My strong recommendation would be to check out SA Wingshooters' website (http://www.wingshooters.org.za/) and read all about the benefits of joining, not to mention the tens of shoots that they put on during hunting season each year in all/most of the provinces throughout SA, the talks and shotgun coaching that they also offer etc.

Then I recommend that you join this organisation, find a mentor (to show you the ropes and teach you the proper etiquette) and then get some lessons from a certified clay pigeon shooting instructor on the clay pigeon range (so that you are experienced in using a shotgun and how to do so safely). Once you are up to speed with all of the above (and only then!) would I say that you should start hunting... the main reason for this comment is that only then will you be able to humanely shoot and cleanly kill your quarry species... safely!

Good luck! It really is a superb pastime...

@Tayls That sounds like great advice!

@Ashman I haven't really started looking. But what does a good, functional, sort of workhorse of a shotgun cost. And what sort of action would be best?

For my first rifle I bought a Tikka, although it's a fantastic rifle I feel a Howa could have served me just as well. So for a shottie I'm not too concerned about the aesthetics...

User

I would purchase an over and under.
    A shotgun is a firearm that either fits you [and you hit what you are shooting at] or it does not.
    Most guns can be made to come pretty close by lenghening or shortening the stock.This is something you are going to have to keep in mind before you buy and help from an experienced wingshooter will be invaluable.

If it is a sport that you want to try,then visit a clay target range where there are normally club guns you can use.

If you find that you are really keen then you have 2 options open to you on the purchase of a gun.
    The most cost effective would be to look for a used over and under with no frills-something like a baikel which are pretty bullet proof and will serve as a start up gun for under 5K.You could use this type of a shotgun for a year or two and get your money back when you upgrade[which you will want to]

Next step up is an over and under with single selective trigger and multi chokes [ejectors not important] and here you can get a new Winchester/Berretta type shotgun new for about 25-35k,or a good used one for correspondingly less.

User

If you are in PE,we are shooting tomorrow?

I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a used over-under. But in the meantime perhaps join SA wingshooters and start doing research regarding clay pigeon shooting.

@pre 64 thanks for the offer but I won't make it. I live close to Colesberg.

User

HadEnuf...BERETTA...daarsy,jy kan nou maar daai klippie uithaal...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast