Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Entering the sport of wingshooting

Thanks for that

I never browse the hunting fora, but I caught your comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

User

1st question, where are you based.

@johannvdg I'm currently based close to Colesberg but will be relocating to Jhb at the end of November

My advice would be to try your very best to shoot the shotty before buying it. Shotguns are like a cricket bat or tennis racquet - they must fit you depending on your height, build and feel (and of course, what your intended use will be). I've shot some seriously nice/expensive guns that just don't fit me, although they are exquisite firearms, and others that more affordable and quite plain which I've shot nicely and just felt right. I have 2 Miroku 12Gs as they just feel right - you'll know the feeling when it happens.

Also, spend as much as you can afford. Shotguns last a lifetime if properly looked after and the more you get to know your gun, the better you will shoot. It's an ethical choice as well to know how your gun shoots, distance wise and depending on your quarry, to avoid wounding birds due to uncertainty and just having a "crack".

Anyway, that's my 2 cents I think :)

Good luck and hope you come right

Banned

I been shooting for a while now because of ol Pre 64's influence. The only advice I can give at the moment is that you understand that Wing Shooting comes later.
    For first year you pretty much a Wish Shooter, of this I am sure, its still what I do most shots - Wish I got it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    @johannvdg I'm currently based close to Colesberg but will be relocating to Jhb at the end of November
    You are then moving into the land of milk and honey, as far as choices goes in terms of wingshooting and clay pigeon shooting.

You are welcome to contact me when you get here, and we'll you orientated.

I have couple of extra guns, and you are welcome to try a few of them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I been shooting for a while now because of ol Pre 64's influence. The only advice I can give at the moment is that you understand that Wing Shooting comes later.
    For first year you pretty much a Wish Shooter, of this I am sure, its still what I do most shots - Wish I got it.
    I read this, and the back of my neck start tingling, but I know it is unfortunately true for most adults that starts out in wingshooting.

I, fortunately, was very much a bookworm in my developmental years, which led to me having taken out quite a few books on the art of shooting flying, before I even touched a shotgun. Today, there are DVD's and youtube tutorials available, I recommend making use of this.

Like any other form of hunting, one should know your limits, and try your utmost to stick within those limits.

I'm a big advocate of mentorship as well, it's the duty of all the old hands to transfer their knowledge and experience to newcomers, both old and young, and ensure that the ethics and etiquette that ensures the future of wingshooting, is instilled in all newcomers.

Quote Originally Posted by AmosSuperGent View Post
    My advice would be to try your very best to shoot the shotty before buying it. Shotguns are like a cricket bat or tennis racquet - they must fit you depending on your height, build and feel (and of course, what your intended use will be). I've shot some seriously nice/expensive guns that just don't fit me, although they are exquisite firearms, and others that more affordable and quite plain which I've shot nicely and just felt right. I have 2 Miroku 12Gs as they just feel right - you'll know the feeling when it happens.

Also, spend as much as you can afford. Shotguns last a lifetime if properly looked after and the more you get to know your gun, the better you will shoot. It's an ethical choice as well to know how your gun shoots, distance wise and depending on your quarry, to avoid wounding birds due to uncertainty and just having a "crack".

Anyway, that's my 2 cents I think :)

Good luck and hope you come right
    To get the best out of a shotgun, it has to fit.

To look for one that fits, may be a futile or frustrating exercise if you are not the perfect average person. And if you do not know what a fitting gun is, how will you know, I have to disagree with the feeling observation.

Gun fitting, to my mind is essential, like buying optics for your hunting rifle.

I have to agree with buying the best you can afford, I just have to add, also buy one that you like, because life is too short to shoot an ugly gun. Also, do not be afraid to buy used, if it is a quality gun, they last a long time.

My last thoughts, do not put of buying a shotgun for too long, just because you want the best, if there's a gun that you like, that you can afford, buy it and leave some money in your budget for ammo and clays.

Enjoy the ride.

Banned

This thing about the shotty fitting, it can not be stressed enough -REALLY REALLY a must. I am on my 3 rd shotty trying to get the "fit". Each one is better than before, but not yet me. I know this "fit thing" because I have raised a gun or two that were perfect, but they were all custom builds and in the "forget it" price range.
    Shooting with a shottiy that does not fit is like trying to assemble a leggo set with welding gloves on. The comparison is very accurate,

Thanks for all the advice guys. About the 'gun fit' thing, I think I understand it. That's how I ended up with the Tikka rifle. It felt perfect when I first held it and lifted it to my shoulder.

I'll start window shopping as soon as I get back to Gauteng. @johannvdg, thanks I will take up your offer.

I realise that it will probably be a long while before I actually do any wingshooting. But I'm a firm believer that 'nothing good ever happens fast'.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast