Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Best Fire steel?

This is my set up and had worked excellent every time so far....

Flint rock is the key with char-cloth made by burning a piece of t-shirt in a container with a small hole on the top..it really is much better than any tinder I know off.

You just need to blow...

User

Genuine flint is difficult to find in the RSA but any rock with a hardness 7 and over on the MOH scale eg quartz etc will do the job.When I wander about in the great outdoors I carry a 3" length of an old file, ground smooth on the thin edges, for testing any interesting rocks that I come across. My preferred cloth for charcloth is old denim as it is reasonably thick and holds a spark longer than thinner materials.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Pascoe View Post
    Genuine flint is difficult to find in the RSA but any rock with a hardness 7 and over on the MOH scale eg quartz etc will do the job.When I wander about in the great outdoors I carry a 3" length of an old file, ground smooth on the thin edges, for testing any interesting rocks that I come across. My preferred cloth for charcloth is old denim as it is reasonably thick and holds a spark longer than thinner materials.
    Thank you Rick, I will make some char cloth from old denim tomorrow and use it in my Tonteldoos...

User

Gert, forgot to mention that if denim is great a piece of paraffin lamp wick is exceptional.Get the widest one you can find.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Pascoe View Post
    Gert, forgot to mention that if denim is great a piece of paraffin lamp wick is exceptional.Get the widest one you can find.
    Rick thank you kindly

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3