Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Correct bullet for .44 hand gun hunting.

It is possible,to a certain extent,to "lock" your wrists and take some of the recoil in your elbows.

This does take a bit of practice and is easier accomplished over a rest.

On a purely subjective note,the recoil of a 44 is far worse in the movies than in real life.When i shot silouette [sorry spelling]we would shoot 100 shots comfortably with 1 hand,lying down in the creedmore possition,in a session.Also,loading s265 gives less perceived recoil than the snap generated by mp200.

Banned

Am I correct in thinking the wheel, chamber ?? (dunno the correct name) length will determine what it can be fed. I assume there is a limit to seating deeper, so do we just use the lighter mono's in revolver or are they more for the lever action rifles ?. I am still wanting to know if a expanding type bullet will still be a through and through bullet in a .44.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Impala has both 160gr and 200gr CFN if you are mono-inclined. The bullet length might be troublesome because the 200gr bullets measure 20.7mm in length.

User

Using mp200,you have plenty of space in the case to seat a mono deeper.You may even be OK with s265..i am not sure of the lenghs of the mono"s you want to use.

As i said,depending on expanding bullet used,you should get expansion and complete penetration on animals up to impala size on a broadside shot.

On bigger game and large warthog...err on the side of penetration as per keith type cast bullets.

I pretty much agree with what Pre-64 is saying here....

245 to 270grn Keith type SWC, cast hard, doing north of 1200fps using S265 if you barrel is 6" or longer (no point in S265 if your barrel is shorter than 6").

Banned

what benefits are fore seen with a lead cast as apposed to, say a Impala solid.

User

I have used the Hornady 300gn XTP (1250fps) on warthog and they penetrate very well with decent expansion.

For a load with less recoil, the 240gn XTP should do well. Reduce MV if they expand too much.

My preferred hunting load is a 300 gn Flat Nosed cast lead bullet out of the Lee mould, pushed to 1100fps. It works great, penetrates well and is accurate. It is a gas check design though. I have good memories of the 320gn SSK-style bullets with flat bases, but I like the big meplat on the Lee more.

If the 300 grainers hurt you, go to the lighther SWC types. Somewhere between 240 and 270 gn should work well. Load to the recoil level you can bear.

S265 does tend to give more of a push and less of a bite, compared to faster powders, for the same MV.

I have a 240gn practice load at 850 fps and a 300 gn hunting load at 1100 fps. POI does differ somewhat.

I cast my own, so the bullets cost me much less than machined copper/brass or JHP would.

....the same as you deduced with the .458 2"

I have still not seen (first hand) evidence of efficacy of light "fast" handgun projectiles...."fast" being a relative term, with handgun length barrels.

Whereas, I have killed things with the other sort.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Am I correct in thinking the wheel, chamber ?? (dunno the correct name) length will determine what it can be fed. I assume there is a limit to seating deeper, so do we just use the lighter mono's in revolver or are they more for the lever action rifles ?. I am still wanting to know if a expanding type bullet will still be a through and through bullet in a .44.
    I only mention COL because there was a thread where someone mentioned some 44's having longer rolls and thereby allowing for heavier bullets. IIRC it was one of the Rugers. I have no experience with 44; we had no length trouble when we reloaded 357 with Impala.

User

A-R...i see you like your 300gr bullets.I am interested that you get penetration and expansion with the 300gr XTP"s. I am using 245gr cast bullets with good results.

2xquestions if you dont mind.

Do you think the heavier bullet has an advantage over the 245gr bullet at 1360fps as far as terminal ballistics are concerned?

I will be using My SB on bushpig over bait in the next few weeks,shooting distance +- 8m.Would you recommend the 300gr XTP? Some of these brutes go over 100kg.

Sorry Treeman,slight hi-jack,but still on topic.

User

I see that most will go lead for hunting. Would CMJ's, (245 gr and 300 gr flat nose) be suitable for hunting?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast