Banned

Default I got lucky with a muzzleloader

Saturday was the opener for the modern gun deer season in Florida but I hunted with my .50 cal. muzzleloader. I saw nothing from my stand so I got down at 10:30 and moved the stand to a spot with dense vegetation. As I was walking the mile and a quarter back to the truck, I spotted a nice buck just staring at me at 90 yards. He was facing me head-on and I didn't have anything to rest against so I fought back the tendency to rush the shot. I pulled the set trigger, wound my left arm in the sling, took a deep breath and squeezed a shot aiming for the neck. He ran off to the side but not very fast. I thought I had missed because of his 'casual' run. I looked for blood, hair, tracks, etc. and couldn't find anything. The recent drought conditions made all the tracks look like sandy ant lion funnels. After searching everywhere, I went home and got my dog and returned. She went into most of the thickets but came up empty. We went back a few hours later when it wasn't so hot (80 deg.) and finally found him in an oak-brush thicket. Buzzards had already plucked his eyes out but hadn't done a lot of damage.

Since we all know that it didn't happen without pictures, here they are.

He is a 7 point with 20 3/4" beams and a 14 3/4" inside spread. He's the third biggest buck I've killed in Florida.

User

Default Re: I got lucky with a muzzleloader

Congrats he's big enjoy the meat.

Banned

Nice one!

User

Good looking Whitetail,.

Hello Ds J

User

It is always very satisfying to take an animal with a traditional style muzzle loader. Well done. Looks like a nice buck. Would you mind sharing the load details with us. As a long time muzzle loader I have a special interest for the details.

Thanks,

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Banned

I used a .490 PRB (patched round ball/.015" patch) with 60 gr. of 3F black powder. I usually shoot 75 gr. of 3F but I had open heart surgery in August and was warned against firing heavy loads by my cardiologist.

User

Great. The patched ball is as classic as it gets. Nice to see it still in action. It is my favourite load in my Thompson Center Seneca .45 rifle.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.