Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Appetite for a new .22LR...Savage or Ruger?

It's that time of year where I feel the need to spoil myself.

My Marlin 880SS .22LR with plastic stocks shoots like a dream, but after almost 19 years I feel it's time for a change.

The Ruger 10/22 seems like a machine that can bring miles of smiles as the semi auto opens up a world of options, the bull barrel version talks to me.

The Savage Mark II FV SR and Mark II BV also tug at the heart strings with its oversized bolt and good rep for accuracy.

The CZ 455 Lux was recommended by a friend of mine (have not done enough research on it to consider it as an option).

I'm more inclined towards the bolt action offerings from Savage as I feel that it may be more accurate, by how much I don't know.

Help a fellow shooter make his mind up...

Default Re: Appetite for a new .22LR...Savage or Ruger?

Would love to see the guys responses to this one. I'm leaning towards the ruger because of the customisability of the 10-22. I've seen 5 shot groupings of 20mm at 75m with the bull barrel.

User

I looked at the CZ last year, it was my top contender. Only reason I didn't buy it, is I added 5k and bought a 308

User

In bolt action , you should also have a look at the ruger American rimfire

User

The others are not even in the same league as the CZ. Fit and finish is vastly superior and feels a more quality product and generally very very accurate. It you can find a 452 they are generally considered better than the 455.

That said the savages are normally pretty accurate too but do not feel as well built. It won't be much of an improvement in your current .22.

I have never had a bull barrel10/22 but from my experience and others i have spoken to the 10/22s are built to a budget, they seem to be hit and miss with accuracy and generally require a lot of money and modification to get them accurate. I have had 3 carbines and all were average at best, horrendous triggers.
    I saw one get the barrel slugged and there was actually a section where the slug fell through before re engaging the rifling near the muzzle.
    That said they are fun and reliable (due to loose tolerances?) and infinitely customisable, just how much do you want to spend to get them accurate though?

The Ruger American is not one that I have played with but seem very plasticky to me and not something I would buy. But from what i have heard they tend to be quite accurate.

The Ruger 77/22 is however very nice and I would rate it up there with the CZ, very well made and finished.

So my picks would be the CZ or the 77/22.
    Depends how much you want to spend though.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Hi, cannot / will offer any advice, however, can contribute the following:

I was in the market for a 22 rifle for precision target events through my hunting association. Spent many days and km's doing the rounds looking at what is available, almost bought a CZ nickel plated bolt action, but decided to look some more before committing. Had also considered a 10/22 but was 50:50, even went so far as to bid on a few Brno at the classic arms auction but stayed within my predetermined budget and stopped bidding when prices went over. Had actually decided on a Ruger American Rimfire, but....

Went to Huntex this year and came across the 10/22 Target Tactical with 16 inch hammer forged bull barrel and Hogue stock. I was sold within 3 seconds of holding. Arranged for 1 to be sent to a dealer I like dealing with and received license in October.

Every 1 of my friends who has shot this little beast, wants 1, in fact 1 of my friends shot mine on a Saturday and went and bought the last 1 available the next week. Fortuneatly Guns and Bows have received more stock 3 weeks ago when I was down for the day.

All I can say is that this little rifle is the most fun, accurate firearm, I'v ever bought and owned. If I could only ever own 1 FA, this would be it. My kids love it, they fight over who is going to use it, but fortunately I still get to pull rank on them.

Be warned though, if you get a 10/22, start saving as there are so many after mark parts available that you can spend as much on pimping your baby as it cost you in the first place and then there's the matter of ammo, as a brick of 500 is only an afternoons fun.

Irrespective of what you buy though, a 22 is a calibre that any serious shooter has to have at least 1 of.

I am very satisfied with my Ruger American Rimfire .22lr which is pretty accurate. I specifically wanted this rifle as i already have an American in .270Win. Only other rifle i seriously looked at was a CZ. The Ruger 77/22 was a little big on price for me. I know two other shooters who have the Ruger 10/22 and have not had any issues with accuracy. Good luck with your selection.

Banned

Andre' this Ruger American Rim Fire ( been offered 2 but declined) - is it as good - not as good as the .270.
    With no malice intended, I ask do you feel qualified, do you shoot own a lot of rifle as to be able to make comparisons. I ask only because I am looking for a "experienced, with comparisons" kinda view on the American. Mine is very accurate, but the trigger was built to upset you, the bolt is fine but the mag failed within a few months. It has issues picking up rounds and rusts if you do not protect it like suger in the rain. My peoples only have one among us so needing outside input. Sure it will aid OP request as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre in Alberton View Post
    I am very satisfied with my Ruger American Rimfire .22lr which is pretty accurate. I specifically wanted this rifle as i already have an American in .270Win. Only other rifle i seriously looked at was a CZ. The Ruger 77/22 was a little big on price for me. I know two other shooters who have the Ruger 10/22 and have not had any issues with accuracy. Good luck with your selection.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Andre' this Ruger American Rim Fire ( been offered 2 but declined) - is it as good - not as good as the .270.
    With no malice intended, I ask do you feel qualified, do you shoot own a lot of rifle as to be able to make comparisons. I ask only because I am looking for a "experienced, with comparisons" kinda view on the American. Mine is very accurate, but the trigger was built to upset you, the bolt is fine but the mag failed within a few months. It has issues picking up rounds and rusts if you do not protect it like suger in the rain. My peoples only have one among us so needing outside input. Sure it will aid OP request as well
    I have a Ruger 77/22 all weather which I have had for years, lovely little rifle except for the trigger and finicky snail magazine. I stripped the mag once (not recommended) about five years ago and it has worked fine since, the trigger is something that I have got used to but is really rubbish out of the box.

User

I own a 10/22 Ruger target version. This little rifle hits a 10cm gong on 100meters every time... I have the Bushnell AR22 scope on it. Helps with the hold over and is accurate. Real tack driver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast