User

Default Pieces of game skin/hides to make a karos

Good day members

I am on the lookout for tanned game skins/hides to cut pieces from..I want to make a karos for the 1800 Era black powder hunt 2017.
    I would appreciate if any skins/hides are available...

Regards

Gert

Default Re: Pieces of game skin/hides to make a karos

I have got 1 nguni verry soft.perfect condition.durbanville

Banned

Gert, some taxidermists have cut-off pieces laying around.

User

Ou Bobejaan, groot dankie..daar gaan `n lekker warm karos tydens die 1882 era swart kruit jag wees om in te slaap...ek is tans besig om twee oorspronklike 1880 era kamp beddens te bou..stretchers the wooden ones....we need to get rid of all plastics/new era containers...no new era stuff is allowed on the 2017 Black powder 1882 era hunt ....

Ds. J yes, it is possible to get off cuts from taxidermy...but they usually use it to make products themselves...and do not really want to part with the off cuts..

User

Interesting project.

Our climate kind of dictate what we can use or not, kudu skin is tough and long lasting, it makes for a good karos.

My brother had some merino skins prepared, with wool still on, would make the perfect karos but it's way too warm, you'll probably die of heat stroke whiles sleeping in the winter.
    You really need cold weather to make use of something like that, I always fancied a karos made of bear hide, like the old frontier men had in america, but again way too warm for our climate.

So we need something that's strong and long lasting, easy to wear but a bit cooler.

Good luck with the project.

User

Willie Barnard has a beautiful caros made of piece of Impala skin , all the impalas he had shot as a young man..his mother made it for him..he is sleeping only under this Impala hide caros...it really gets extremely cold during the nights ...I want to sleep the next hunt on the ground every night under my own caros...leaving the tent to the visiting American hunter...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    I want to sleep the next hunt on the ground every night under my own caros...leaving the tent to the visiting American hunter.
    Why? Does he snore, fart, or both?

User

No, not one of the above mentioned..I just want to sleep under the stars to see if I can spot the visiting leopard and hyena ..since the visiting American hunter is a guest hunter he can have all the perks of the hunt... Which includes a nice tent to sleep in and sleeping on a 1880 era stretcher ...