Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default 308 win ammo options BUT no reloading

Easiest part done was getting the licence in total 3 days from application to licence in my hand, Now I face the challenge of ammo in Botswana we arent allowed to reload so its shop bought ammo only.

My rifle is a CZ550 in 308 win with a Zeiss conquest hd5 5-25x50

I cant make up my mind as to what ammo to get, I am told by some 165gr others 180gr then there is the limited choice of heads PMP are quite common but you hear from many that PMP often fail due to poor quality. We either hunt Tulibolck or Kang where shots are in the 50 to 100 range I really don't get much of an opportunity to shoot beyond 150. I would also like to know what are others experience is at hunting larger antelope at + 150 meters, maybe i just need a bit of reassurance of the 308 win above 150 mark.

My hunting is for pot or biltong generally only Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeests and the odd Eland

Any advice or comments welcome.

Banned

Default Re: 308 win ammo options BUT no reloading

At the mentioned ranges, go as heavy as you can get. Usually it will be 180gr. On eland, make sure of your shot and be aware/stay away of the shoulder bones.

User

Use PMP Proamm as minimum.

See if you can't get Federal that is loaded with some form of premium bullet.

User

3 days...

User

3 days? Wow!!!
    Pmp sells 220gr bullets for reloading. Wonder if they have that in proamm ready made cartridges. I'm busy trying to build something for eland with 220's

User

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    3 days? Wow!!!
    Pmp sells 220gr bullets for reloading. Wonder if they have that in proamm ready made cartridges. I'm busy trying to build something for eland with 220's
    The 220 is a standard soft point, not ProAmm. At the speeds they get launced they should hold together.

To the OP: if you're going to go factory only, you could do worse than 180gr ProAmm.

User

I bought the 308 simply because I don't like the 243 so eventually the 308 will be using lighter heads and longer ranges. Hopefully there is a ZKK 602 375 that becomes available. Initially I wanted a 338WM but not being able to reload and 338 ammo is very scarce. 300 WM are extremely popular here and are mostly used for head shots. I will keep my eyes and ears open for 180gr for now.

Banned

Legal question: are you allowed to cross the border into Botswana with reloaded ammo, or is it a complete ban of reloaded ammo? If it is possible you could reload whilst visiting SA and simply take along a year's quantity of 200gr or 220gr.

Please make sure that your rifle stabilizes the heavier bullets. I just saw that the CZ 550 has a twist of 1:12", which means that it would most probably do best with 168gr and maybe 180gr. 200gr and 220gr could cause trouble.

If you look at the pro-Amm competition results you should be happy with the 180gr ito accuracy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Legal question: are you allowed to cross the border into Botswana with reloaded ammo, or is it a complete ban of reloaded ammo? If it is possible you could reload whilst visiting SA and simply take along a year's quantity of 200gr or 220gr.

Please make sure that your rifle stabilizes the heavier bullets. I just saw that the CZ 550 has a twist of 1:12", which means that it would most probably do best with 168gr and maybe 180gr. 200gr and 220gr could cause trouble.

If you look at the pro-Amm competition results you should be happy with the 180gr ito accuracy.
    From what I understand if someone with an RSA licenced firearm came to BW the only regulation is declaring and 100 rounds max per rifle / shotgun. Having a BW licence I cant get components in RSA so I wouldn't be able to reload there.

User

Quote Originally Posted by James MacKay View Post
    From what I understand if someone with an RSA licenced firearm came to BW the only regulation is declaring and 100 rounds max per rifle / shotgun. Having a BW licence I cant get components in RSA so I wouldn't be able to reload there.
    Unless you have a hunting buddy in S.A who comes over with his rifle & ammo and leaves it behind after he returns to S.A i.e. it's going to be a mission.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast