Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 308 win ammo options BUT no reloading

Quote Originally Posted by Slaaibak View Post
    3 days...
    Except that no handguns are permitted and pretty sure neither are MSR's.

Ive got a 1/12th. 150 to 155 works best.
    Im bot sure your 1/12 is goint to like anything 180 and up. I think 168 will be the highest you should try and get.

I shot a big Kudu Bull in May at 245m with a 150gr Sako Super hammerhead. Hit him on side. In lower half of lower half. As this is where the heart sits. Went through rib, passed through lung. Took top third of heart passed through other lung and through another rib and out the other side.
    Kudu gave almost like a jump and fell like a brick. So to me 150 is plenty with the right make of ammo.

By the way I only hunt with Sako super hammerheads.

User

Dominee, you gotta do the sums on the stabilization... 1:12 will stabilise all mainstream 180gr boattail hunting bullets. It may be marginal for the VLD type ones. Similarly, 200gr flatbase and 220gr RN is fine. Actually, the 220gr RN stabilise better than some of the long 150gr match boattails. In the end, the length is the deciding factor

User

What would be the best for a .308 wit a 1:10 twist...?

User

Anything. You're lucky.

User

Poor accuracy in a 308 with factory ammo between 150 and 180 grain is almost never a case of stability, and almost always a case of the combination not tailored for the specific rifle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Poor accuracy in a 308 with factory ammo between 150 and 180 grain is almost never a case of stability, and almost always a case of the combination not tailored for the specific rifle.
    Exactly.

I can only use my one rifle as a case in point, but from that 150gr PMP factory ammo shot to sub-MOA, whilst the 180gr factory ammo was about 2MOA at best. Subsequently I bought 180gr BTSP Interlocks (which should theoretically be less stabilised than the PMP flat bases) and my own tailored load also shoots sub-MOA. Difference is they run a tad slower than the PMP ammo, just bringing it onto a node for that barrel length.

:- P

User

Default 308 win ammo options BUT no reloading

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Ive got a 1/12th. 150 to 155 works best.
    Im bot sure your 1/12 is goint to like anything 180 and up. I think 168 will be the highest you should try and get.

I shot a big Kudu Bull in May at 245m with a 150gr Sako Super hammerhead. Hit him on side. In lower half of lower half. As this is where the heart sits. Went through rib, passed through lung. Took top third of heart passed through other lung and through another rib and out the other side.
    Kudu gave almost like a jump and fell like a brick. So to me 150 is plenty with the right make of ammo.

By the way I only hunt with Sako super hammerheads.
    That sounds decent. I would have thought 150's are a bit light in the pants for an exit wound on a kudu. Unless you where very lucky to enter between 2 ribs.
    Would you use them on eland? Eland is my target in may/june '17
    Also it will he my 1st eland. Still deciding on 308 or 375. I want to waste the minimum meat even though i will have lots of it next winter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    That sounds decent. I would have thought 150's are a bit light in the pants for an exit wound on a kudu. Unless you where very lucky to enter between 2 ribs.
    Also it will he my 1st eland. Still deciding on 308 or 375. I want to waste the minimum meat even though i will have lots of it next winter.
    There is one moer of a difference between kudu and eland.
    Kudu in my opinion are soft critters, 150gr is more than enough.
    Eland are so bulky and muscled, you need momentum to reach the vitals, with good shot placement 150's will do, when encountering dense bone or thick muscle, not so much.

Err on the side of caution.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    Keep in mind that a mature eland bull is almost twice the size of a cow or sub adult bull, basically making it two very different animals. I regularly kill cows and young bulls with a 6.5x55 and cup and core bullets, but when I hunt big bulls I use a .300 win mag with expanding monolithic bullets.

To be on the safe side, use a 150gr monolithic if you want to use the .308 on eland. A .375 is perfect for eland, especially mature bulls.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast