Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: 308 win ammo options BUT no reloading

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Keep in mind that a mature eland bull is almost twice the size of a cow or sub adult bull, basically making it two very different animals. I regularly kill cows and young bulls with a 6.5x55 and cup and core bullets, but when I hunt big bulls I use a .300 win mag with expanding monolithic bullets.

To be on the safe side, use a 150gr monolithic if you want to use the .308 on eland. A .375 is perfect for eland, especially mature bulls.
    Would 180gr swift aframes be OK for a mature eland bull. That is my .308 bush hunting combo. 1/12 twist .308

User

A 5-25 magnification is a very big scope for 150m maximum range.
    Why not consider a 3-9×40 which would be better suited in my opinion, and lighter.
    I am shooting 150gr PMP in my CZ 308, and have 150gr Barnes TTSX already for when I have a good supply of brass.
    I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a kudu with the 150gr PMP, and in fact take a few Bulls per year with it.
    But as mentioned, try get a heavier 180gr bullet that will group in your rifle as it will be a better choice for Bushveld conditions.
    We have a 375 minimum calibre for Eland where I PH, but that is due to Once a Year Hunters wounding too many Eland. I have shot a Big Eland with the 308, but that was a premium 150gr bullet.
    If the angle and shot placement is right, then the normal PMP bullet will work. But you need to prepare for when the angle and shot placement might not be 100%
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by singh17 View Post
    Would 180gr swift aframes be OK for a mature eland bull. That is my .308 bush hunting combo. 1/12 twist .308
    They would be fine. Avoid hitting the heavy shoulder bones. An eland bull has a huge vital area and a double lung shot put them down quickly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3