Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Importing Black Powder Rifles

Hi guys

I had a family friend just call me, on behalf of a mate of his in the USA, to ask if it is possible to permanently bring black powder rifles back from the USA and whether there are any restrictions(rifle only, he would leave powder etc. at home). My initial thoughts would be there could be restrictions leaving the states and I am not that certain of how they would be treated from an SA perspective. Chatting with a colleague at work he seems to recall there being potential changes/enacted changes to the legislation regarding BP rifles.

There are a few slightly older threads I could find on the subject but my search didnt reveal anything recent.

It seems to be a case of him moving back to SA and wanting to bring his BP rifles with him.

Anyone with any experience with this than can weigh in on the ease/difficulty on doing this?

Cheers

User

Default Re: Importing Black Powder Rifles

BP Rifles are not regulated in SA

User

Exporting it from USA to RSA might be the biggest problem. BP guns are not regulated in South Africa, but the yanks might see it differently.

There are laws against importing, even though they are deregulated.
    Suggest reading the Act carefully, they put a bunch of stuff in there about it, don't have time to check now.

Banned

In the U.S. muzzleloading black powder arms are not considered firearms in almost all of the states. This, of course, is not true in the few gun hating states like California, NY, NJ, etc.

The airlines may have a problem but in the majority of the United States, a muzzleloader is not considered different from an axe as far as the government is concerned.

Banned

Told John - work with a importer thats already in the business and pay him a fee for "your" guns. You are not going to be smiling by the time you get it done trying yourself.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Told John - work with a importer thats already in the business and pay him a fee for "your" guns. You are not going to be smiling by the time you get it done trying yourself.
    Looks like he called you as well! Sounds like the right approach for sure.

Banned

Note: Black powder arms are not the same as muzzleloaders as far as the U.S. is concerned. If it is a gun that uses cartridges, it is considered a "modern gun" unless that individual gun was manufactured prior to 1898.

To give the SA perspective to Patocazador's post:
    In RSA, if a firearm loads from the breech, it is a normal firearm, regardless of year of manufacture, and needs to be licenced. Importing procedures would presumably be the same as for any modern rifle. examples would be: Martini Henry, Sniders, Remington rolling block etc.

If it loads from the Muzzle, it is a muzzle loading firearm, and though not individually registered, the owner must have a "Competency to possess a muzzleloading firearm." IMHO the term deregulated doesn't apply any more, after the amendments to the act. Importing the latter might be easier, but i am not too sure.

I think it is important for the OP to specify what kind of rifles he is referring.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Barnard View Post
    To give the SA perspective to Patocazador's post:
    In RSA, if a firearm loads from the breech, it is a normal firearm, regardless of year of manufacture, and needs to be licenced. Importing procedures would presumably be the same as for any modern rifle. examples would be: Martini Henry, Sniders, Remington rolling block etc.

If it loads from the Muzzle, it is a muzzle loading firearm, and though not individually registered, the owner must have a "Competency to possess a muzzleloading firearm." IMHO the term deregulated doesn't apply any more, after the amendments to the act. Importing the latter might be easier, but i am not too sure.

I think it is important for the OP to specify what kind of rifles he is referring.
    I thought they excluded real pre 1900 black powders from that rule, that it only applied to reproductions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast