Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Default Re: Nostalgia - Old gunshops

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Pascoe View Post
    Springbok arms was in Bedford Centre. Any one remember Rand Arms and Safari's? In Eloff street diagonally opposite to Field and Stream. Jeff Smith dealt mainly in fine English guns,I worked there for a while and got to handle Rigby's ,Purdey's and lots of other classy guns.
    Hi Rick.
    Did Springbok Arms 'morph' into Champs (now also gone) ?
    I bought my first revolver from Champs in Bedford Centre when I arrived in SA in the early 2000's.
    Regards.
    Keith.

User

I don't know about Champs Keith,I left Bedfordview in '94 and guess Champs must have opened after that,

I remember Basil's Den in Southdale Shopping Centre, Marksman Arms in Market Street, Boksburg, Rogers Sports in Fourways Mall, downstairs to Field and Stream in Commissioner Street, JHB.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SeanG View Post
    Yip, Bentels had a branch in Eastgate.
    I started working there as a casual in the late 80's.
    Worked on weekends and holidays while studying, and then after the army in 91' I ran the branch for a year (1992) and then went back to study.
    I remember Bentel arms well, it was on the upper level of the shopping centre. There were framed fiberglass displays of R1 and R4 hanging above the counter, I used to drool over them as a schoolboy. Did they also sell knives? Or am I thinking of sharp edge/sharp shooter? This was about the year 1987!

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    My dad bought his first rifle at Farmer's supply in Benoni during 1979.
    And my father his first pistol from Roy Hirsowich (sp?) at Hirsowich Bros in downtown Benoni. Benoni Indoor was my first gunshop hangout, then Sportman in Town Centre in Boksburg. Bought my first pistol from Sharp Edge/Sharp Shooter in the Carlton Centre with cash I got from selling my racing bike in Std 9.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

For the Durban (and PMB) guys, all the ones mentioned already plus some more:

Natal Gun Company in Athlone Park run by Alan Henry - it is still there. In my day, Bob, his father still ran it.

Titan Arms originally in Winklespruit, I think, and then moved to BKB in Mobeni? I think, it is, or was, the gunsmithing arm of the BKB gunshop? Brian Amm used to own Titan Arms, I cannot remember his business partner's name.

Uncle Sam's Arsenal in my hometown, Toti, in the new mall across from the railway station where Checkers used to be, which also had a branch in the Pick and Pay centre at Winklespruit in the 90' s - it did not last long. It was owned by prominent local businessman Sam Markham (spelling?). I sometimes worked part time at United Bank which was later incorporated into ABSA Bank and I still remember the day Sam came in to complain about the mis-print in the cheque book. It read: ' Uncle Sam's Arse' and he famously quipped that the mis-print was a complete 'cock up'.

John Hall gunsmithing (ok, not a gun shop) in Hillcrest on tbe old PMB road - I cannot remmber the name of that bloody awful hill the road went up - lots of fatal accidents there back then.

Reford and Bresler in PMB and I think a Kings sports branch in PMB as well. I do remember some of the staff at Reford and Bresler (could have been the owner?) being a rude, grumpy bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by flincher View Post
    Back in the late 70's "King's Sport Shop" was in the City Center and the place to go to in Durban. As a "laaitie" I use to go there and spend hours just browsing and dreaming. Is it still doing business?
    Yes its on Hunter street in the CBD

Banned

'Reford and Bresler in PMB and I think a Kings sports branch in PMB as well. I do remember some of the staff at Reford and Bresler (could have been the owner?) being a rude, grumpy bastard."

Mr Bresler is still alive and kicking, and grumpier than ever!

Titan Arms moved into the old Fnb bank in Jacobs about 2 yrs ago, parking on the ground floor, shop on the first floor

User

Whatever happened to Midrand Arms and Sports located in Midrand City - the only "mall" that we had until The Boulders opened in 1992?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9