Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Cape Town - Rifle Rust-Free Storage?

Hi all. I Have not been on the forum for a long while, please help with rust and how to prevent it. If this has been discussed, please re-direct me or start this new one with me.

8 months ago we moved from PTA to CPT. In PTA I never had any issues of rust on my FA's and did not clean them that often (only after a shooting weekend and that would be months apart), so I cleaned my FA's when we moved here 8 months ago and oiled them well because I heard of rust issues here by the coast. I decided A week ago to clean my CZ 9mm (of which i carry everyday with me) and noticed a small patch of rust inside the barrel with pitting of about less than a millimeter in diameter. I got quite worried and started googling around for tips but could not find much, only some people saying just to shoot lead bullets through and not to worry too much as the bamage has been done. I cleaned and oiled my 9mm well but could not yet go to a range (very busy during the week and weekends is family time). Suddenly realising my FA's in the safe I opened my safe to take a look and both my rifles were rusted inside, badly, looked like sand, but luckilly no pitting noted only surface rust! I thought I oiled them well, and cleaned them again with a nilon brush and oil and checked on them daily with a white cloth since then but no rust, yet.

So my questions are:

1. How do I keep moist out of my Rifle Safe? (I somewhere saw a thread about some kind of quick fix that can be used to place inside the safe to absorb moist, but did not take note as I was not planning to use it while I was still in PTA)

2. How do I prevent rust from appearing inside the barrels. Even when oiled, they still seem to rust?

3. Should I worry about the small pitting area in my 9mm? Or should I just run a few rounds of lead through and not thoroughly clean it again?

Any other ideas, tips, methods would be apprechiated.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Default Re: Cape Town - Rifle Rust-Free Storage?

Trying spraying them with Spanjaard silicone oil. You can run it through the bore as well. For long term storage oil the guns and then spray them with chain lube - you can also run it through the bore. It goes on like an oil and quickly turns into a wax. But be warned, it's a bit of a bitch to get off but your guns sure won't rust. Another option may be to use a grease of some kind (like a light wheel bearing grease) or vaseline. All will work.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Trying spraying them with Spanjaard silicone oil. You can run it through the bore as well. For long term storage oil the guns and then spray them with chain lube - you can also run it through the bore. It goes on like an oil and quickly turns into a wax. But be warned, it's a bit of a bitch to get off but your guns sure won't rust. Another option may be to use a grease of some kind (like a light wheel bearing grease) or vaseline. All will work.
    I am using a Thick Gear oil. That seem to work, but I am scared of it just being a quick fix. I will try the chain oil, that seems like a better idea. Thanx.

User

Search "Eezox" here on Gunsite. You can also Google "Eezox" for independant reviews on the product.

You will not have to remove residue gunk when using Eezox.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    Search "Eezox" here on Gunsite. You can also Google "Eezox" for independant reviews on the product.

You will not have to remove residue gunk when using Eezox.
    Eezox works great!

User

Hi Wiaan

1) I used to use those dissectant baggies you find in pill boxes, but these days I use a bowl of cat litter in the safe. The absorbent kind. Basically the same thing.
    2) I had a little surface rust on my Ruger once and since then I run a oily patch of Slip200 EWL through the barrels of both my guns every second day. Saw a corrosion test where the slip did very well.
    3) I know it sucks to have a barrel rust on you, but if it doesn't effect accuracy too much, I wouldn't worry much about it. Especially in a handgun. Just shoot it

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by MANNY82 View Post
    Hi Wiaan

1) I used to use those dissectant baggies you find in pill boxes, but these days I use a bowl of cat litter in the safe. The absorbent kind. Basically the same thing.
    2) I had a little surface rust on my Ruger once and since then I run a oily patch of Slip200 EWL through the barrels of both my guns every second day. Saw a corrosion test where the slip did very well.
    3) I know it sucks to have a barrel rust on you, but if it doesn't effect accuracy too much, I wouldn't worry much about it. Especially in a handgun. Just shoot it

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
    Thanx Manny, yes I remembered the thread now when I read your No. 1... The guy took one of his wife's old stockings and filled it up with the absorbing cat litter, I will deff try that one!

Thanx for your advice, I will use it thanx.

User

Raw rice is supposed to work as well. My Mom used to add a few grains to our saltshaker to keep the salt from clotting up when we lived on the coast. Worked like a charm.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    Raw rice is supposed to work as well. My Mom used to add a few grains to our saltshaker to keep the salt from clotting up when we lived on the coast. Worked like a charm.
    Food is getting more scarce these days, the other day I went scavanging in the wasteland... oh wait sorry got caught there in a FallOut storyline for a sec...

No, using rice would be a good idea but I think the cat litter is more useable than a bag of rice. Thanx anyways.

User

Can recommend the cat litter idea. I have some of those cloth bags you get from banks filled with the stuff in my safes and so far no problems. My one safe stands in a high moisture area.

I also wipe all my firearms with Eezox when putting them away.

The combination seems to work for now, so happiness.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast