Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Handling fee on license refusal, standard practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    So the gun is yours, they are selling on your behalf, and charging 10% to do so?
    So it is standard practice it seems. basically all I wanted to know.

That is cool way to make money. They already charged the previous owner 10%. So, so far they have made 20% on the gun without it leaving the store?

User

Quote Originally Posted by willehond View Post
    Not exactly what happened.
    If you are not pulling out of the deal and rather appealing and/or resubmitting then a handling fee would be superfluous..

User

So it is standard practice it seems. basically all I wanted to know.

That is cool way to make money. They already charged the previous owner 10%. So, so far they have made 20% on the gun without it leaving the store?
    10% is low compared to some I have heard.

Bear in mind the shop has admin overheads on holding that gun in stock as well as all the assorted crap that goes along with dealing with SAPS.

As I said, essentially, they are reselling YOUR gun, for a percentage. You are surely welcome to sell it yourself for the full price if you do not like the percentage?

User

Quote Originally Posted by G33 View Post
    If you are not pulling out of the deal and rather appealing and/or resubmitting then a handling fee would be superfluous..
    If it was refused with two DSS and two endorsement letters, why would the appeal be upheld?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    10% is low compared to some I have heard.

Bear in mind the shop has admin overheads on holding that gun in stock as well as all the assorted crap that goes along with dealing with SAPS.

As I said, essentially, they are reselling YOUR gun, for a percentage. You are surely welcome to sell it yourself for the full price if you do not like the percentage?
    I was not given that option. Many gunshops do not like it if you sell the gun on. I know of two in Cape Town where this was not allowed.

I shall never buy secondhand form a gunshop again. Lesson learnt.

User

If it was refused with two DSS and two endorsement letters, why would the appeal be upheld?
    If you motivated accordingly and can show an actual need, then an appeal could work.... even a resubmitting with a stronger motivation (if possible) could work. You cannot expect the retail store to eat the loss when you refuse to fight.

User

Quote Originally Posted by G33 View Post
    If you motivated accordingly and can show an actual need, then an appeal could work.... even a resubmitting with a stronger motivation (if possible) could work. You cannot expect the retail store to eat the loss when you refuse to fight.
    What loss? The have already got markup that the taken off when they paid the original owner. And I only get my money if and when it sells.

I would have understood a 5% admin fee, but I think 10% is too much for goods that never left the premises.

User

What loss? The have already got markup that the taken off when they paid the original owner. And I only get my money if and when it sells.

I would have understood a 5% admin fee, but I think 10% is too much for goods that never left the premises.
    Shelve space ... storage space.... another few months waiting for the next sale... all that equals a loss.

User

The thing is that I find dealers tend to like staying in business. The premises that the gun never leaves has to be paid for somehow. The space in the safe is likely at a premium. Staff have to be paid to haul the guns out and cross check against registers for SAPS inspections, which happen more often than you may think. Insurance on the items in their premises.

All of the above has a cost associated with it. When the expectation is that the dealer eats those costs, then they either close down, or mark up other items. When they choose the latter course of action, we are up in arms about how the dealers in SA are ripping people off.

Lose lose situation for them right there.

And for the record, one shop I heard charged 40%. Now that I do consider slightly excessive.

Are you paying any storage or documentation fees on top of the 10%?

User

So it is standard. Interesting. I have send back electronic stuff to Takealot. I imagine they must also have overheads. I got a full 100% refund after the goods was inspected and in new condition.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast