Thread: FN FAL

User

Default FN FAL

Hi
    I bought an FN FAL (G model serial #G14466) like the top one in the picture, complete with same scope and all off an old Oom in Limpopo about 14 months back. I finally received the license and will be picking up my rifle in the next few weeks. He got the rifle when in the bush war but can’t give me any info on it (lost his memory- 84 years old). I want to use the rifle for culling of animals and problem animal control, so I want to convert it to a usable rifle. First I want to know any info of model and an estimated value. The rifle is in very good original condition with only a few (removable) marks on the wood butt stock. The bore is clean and in mint condition. The scope is also still working but I don’t think it is in the same league as today’s modern scopes.

I thought of fitting plastic (R1) furniture, Burris 3-9 (detachable) scope and second an Aimpoint red dot scope (also detachable). A shorter flash hider (to reduce overall length of rifle, and perhaps shortening the barrel). I see that there is a lot of part available in USA but how about SA. Roger P of gun-site said he have got parts but were to get it fitted and what to fit is the question. If you can post photos of FALs in use with parts that I can get and fit I will appreciate it.

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images

From a collectors point of view, you have a very interesting rifle, even more so for those in the US. The G Series FAL's from what I understand were the only ones made for the commercial market, they marked .308 and not 7.62 like the others. Being older, they also have stronger receivers than the modern ones. My father has one in near mint condition too, although without the scope and mount, so if it's going spare, drop me an email.

I'm not sure on value in SA and never seen an FN advertised as a G series indicating dealers don't appear to value it more, but individuals put personal values on variants so you never know. I guess with LM's going for 8000 - 10 000, the FN will be in the same region.

I'd probably just change the scope, and possibly mount, but that's about it.

User

Ditto on what Craig said. Dont waste money and time on changing anything else. The rifle has character as is number one and if you start changing things you just negate the value.

User

Value imo would be more than that of an LM - I would say around 10 - 14k.

All I would change to really update it is install a picatinny dustcover which will allow fitting of any of the modern optics on the rifle. You can PM me for info - I have a lead on some new DSA models (the best in the business). for info also see here http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-FAL-Extre...ductinfo/620A/.