Default Can you buy ammo with a Proof of Payment receipt?

So my one 9mmP license is in for renewal.

Can I purchase ammo using the expired license + Proof of Payment receipt from SAPS? Or do I have to wait for the license/printout license?

User

Default Re: Can you buy ammo with a Proof of Payment receipt?

Yes, you can.

Ah great.
    Do all shops accept it, or are there some who don't allow.

User

The 1s I frequent have accepted this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great, I have a max of 400 rounds so when taking friends out for a practice, it would be nice to have more than 200 rounds.

I hear the SAPS now issue a receipt which actually states the firearm/s involved, but this was not always the case.

I have had issues trying to buy powder at DSG using an expired licence and a receipt which just stated that it was for 7 renewals without stating what firearms they were.

I can see their point too.

User

If i can make a suggestion. Scan / make copies of your POP.
    My renewal is now over 11 months in the works. I keep the original POP in my wallet , but its starting to look like the dog's breakfast.
    I can at least print a replacement if need be.

I bought a new firearm and handed in the app in Feb 2023, and it was approved in June 2023. Card was printed in just over 4 weeks.
    But the firearm i renewed in November 2022, is still 'IN PROGRESS' as of today....

User

As far as I can recall, when you have applied for renewal, you keep your old card and receive a receipt for your renewal application. This in fact means you still have a "valid' licence on your current card until the renewal have been completed then the new card overwrites the old card. In essence you are still able to buy ammunition with your receipt, just keep your old card with you when buying or traveling with said firearm.

User

Quote Originally Posted by John87 View Post
    As far as I can recall, when you have applied for renewal, you keep your old card and receive a receipt for your renewal application. This in fact means you still have a "valid' licence on your current card until the renewal have been completed then the new card overwrites the old card. In essence you are still able to buy ammunition with your receipt, just keep your old card with you when buying or traveling with said firearm.
    This. So long as you have applied in time etc etc your old licensed remains valid even after it expires. The receipts I've received have never had a reference to the licensed to which they relate so really only prove that a renewal has been applied for not which one.

You'd dispense with a lot of the ambiguity if you include a SAP523 when you submit renewal documentation. Just get the DFO to sign and stamp it and retain for your records.