Page 36 of 60 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 300 Blackout bende

Good day, gents - some questions please:

With much excitement, I’ve just received my BCM CQB9,

What would be a safe minimum load for Milsurp PMP 147gn FMJs that I’d like to start reloading with? I will be using both S265 & MP200.

I am looking at Hobbes' Reloading Journey PDF, [9.3.14 Unknown FMJ (143gn)] as reference:

Do you think that I could I use his same minimum starting loads of 13.5 gn S265, COL 54.1 mm, & 8.5 gn MP200, COL 54.5 mm? (primers: S&B small rifle), Bearing in mind that he was using a 16" bolt action rifle, afaik.

Or should I start slightly higher, considering the 9” barrel with pistol length gas system?

I will be using a chrony.

Quote Originally Posted by MTTSS View Post
    OK the loading was quite an adventure. Initially when I loaded for the BLK in Sept/Oct last year the S&B ammo was not available as a source of brass. So I got some ex Filipino 223 unfired but primed brass with different headstamps. We decapped 300 cases. Then we established that the primer flash holes were obscured with the remains of shavings that were not properly cleared. So we had to clear them properly first. Then we converted the cases to 300 BLK - most of the work was done by hand. Took me and my buddy 12 hours and some plaster for the blisters that developed on the fingers with the handling of the brass during the preparation process. We were running out of time, I had the AR course coming up the next day. Only got the temporary authorization the previous day. But after 12 hours we were done with the 300 rounds of 300 BLK.

They all worked flawlessly at the course. Due to time limits the powder charges were not all exactly precise. I noticed a variance on the auto powder thrower when measured of 0.1 to 0.2gr when doing spot checks on the scale.

We have not measured the 143gr bullets for consistent weight either. Some guys say they can vary a bit more than match grade ammo.

But I still managed good accuracy. My rifle currently has the Trijicon mini ACOG 1.5 x fitted. It has the doughnut type reticle. Which means a large circle over a small little dot. It works fantastic for practical applications, but of course it is not really suited for shooting tiny bench rest type groups at 100 meters, for instance.

All of us at the course were however impressed by the three round cluster that I shot at 50m with the ammo, when the target was a large circle that fitted perfectly into the circle of the sight. :) I would say you could almost cover it with a patch.

So, I believe that one could indeed get sub moa with the combination, despite the fact that the powder charges were not as consistent as could be, the brass was not truly consistent (not the same headstamps), and the bullets may vary a bit in weight.

In other words, the 143gr bullets are a good option for range use! And the 300BLK is capable of even better with proper ammo.

I must add, that I spoke to Paul about my adventure with the making up of the rounds, and he then showed me a little machine that he has that converts 223 cases to 300 BLK in a second or two! If only I knew. He should post a video of the machine here...

Now that I have found the S&B ammo, personally I will just stick to that as a future source of brass. But there may be others that have a lot of 223 brass supplies. For them this machine makes a lot of sense.

We loaded 14.5gr S265, 143gr bullets, total length 45.75mm, CCI small rifle primers.
    Hi StanCT - refer to post 61 above.

Quote Originally Posted by MTTSS View Post
    Correction. This should read 54.75mm
    and 71

User

AFAIK, Hobbes settled on 15.0gr S265 over the 143gr projectile for his standard AR use.

So with your suggested load should be a perfect starting point.

User

Thanks, chaps - maybe it's time to read through this thread again

User

Ladies & Jenilmin - what powders and loads are you using in your 300 BLK AR's with the Somchem situation?

Just as I got my loads worked out for S265, it dried up.

Or is everybody using factory ammo?

Hodgdon Lill’gun works perfect in 300 Blk.
    Supersonic & subsonic

User

Quote Originally Posted by StanCT View Post
    Ladies & Jenilmin - what powders and loads are you using in your 300 BLK AR's with the Somchem situation?

Just as I got my loads worked out for S265, it dried up.

Or is everybody using factory ammo?
    I've loaded and zeroed my gun using Lil Gun but I also have some ammo loaded with S265.

I would have to check my S265 load, but I think it was 15gr (but more likely 14.5gr). Lil Gun is 15gr, loaded with 143gr mil surp bullets, loaded to the crimp groove.

I zeroed it at 25m from my range bag with red dot, and if I did my part I could shoot a 3rd clover leaf, but group was usually about 1.5cm - 2.0cm. Tested it out to 100m on steel 300mm gong, and it was dead on.

I have only shot 70 rounds through the gun to date, but every round was perfect (although I think I was expecting a much softer recoil impulse, it's much harder than 5.56. I understand the physics behind it, but yeah).

User

Is anybody successfully casting and shooting a good bullet in this calibre yet?

User

Quote Originally Posted by StanCT View Post
    Is anybody successfully casting and shooting a good bullet in this calibre yet?
    I got a few of those Lee 230gr bullets that another 300blk shooter cast and Powder Coated. I loaded them to Subsonic velocities, and they ran ok. I haven't shot that many of them, as I feel the ones I had we a little undersized at .309.

I would like to get some more but size them to at least .310 maybe even .311. I think they would be more accurate. Subs aren't really what he uses his 300blks (yes plural) for, and I can't afford to shoot the Hornady 125gr bullets he does.

I'm hoping there is a decent 115gr mould somewhere, because there really isnt a great range of bullets available for higher volume shooting.

Page 36 of 60 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast