Page 38 of 60 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 300 Blackout bende

Yes, thanx I had forgotten about fiocchi.

User

Anybody have success loading the lee 230gn bullets to subsonic that cycles the gun? Just finished casting a few today...

User

What happened here, this thread seems to have died after a great start? Was .300 blackout a fad?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    What happened here, this thread seems to have died after a great start? Was .300 blackout a fad?
    Since its introduction the caliber became rather popular in the US. Here in SA, most importantly, it became popular enough for ammo (on the S&B's in particular) to firstly become available and secondly to go down in price to the degree that it is almost not worth reloading for it (OK I suppose this still depends on how much spare time you have), compared to buying new and not much more expensive than decent .223, whereas in the early days we actually made our own cases etc. from .223 brass.

The .300 BLK remains a success story for what it is and it has not disappeared into obscurity as sometimes happens with relatively new calibres. Many manufacturers continue to make firearms in this calibre and there are even newcomers like Howa that makes a very handy short action bolt action rifle, who not that long ago, still said that they are not certain if they will enter the market.

Optics with .300 BLK specific reticles are made by many manufacturers, and some of them to the likes of premium manufacturers such as Trijicon and Bushnell are available in SA.

On the accessories front, top tier companies such as Magpul have put their weight behind the .300 BLK to the degree that they are making magazines that have been optimised for the calibre.

Elsewhere on here is a thread where notifications were updated on new companies that entered the .300 BLK market. At some point in time, it became so mainstream that it became pointless to update the thread, the point was made.

I get the impression that whatever .300 BLK rifles (semi and bolt) were imported into SA, were sold, perhaps there are literally less than a handful left. Maybe this is just the thing, if more rifles were available and on the shelves of dealers, and the average Joe who does not have the background knowledge to appreciate the advantages of .300 BLK over .223, was introduced to the option, .300 BLK would have been even more popular in SA than it is.

Ps. congratulations with your license approval, did you get the card in time for lockdown?

User

DSG now sell DM4 300BLK uppers as well in different lengths .

User

Quote Originally Posted by MTTSS View Post
    Since its introduction the caliber became rather popular in the US. Here in SA, most importantly, it became popular enough for ammo (on the S&B's in particular) to firstly become available and secondly to go down in price to the degree that it is almost not worth reloading for it (OK I suppose this still depends on how much spare time you have), compared to buying new and not much more expensive than decent .223, whereas in the early days we actually made our own cases etc. from .223 brass.

The .300 BLK remains a success story for what it is and it has not disappeared into obscurity as sometimes happens with relatively new calibres. Many manufacturers continue to make firearms in this calibre and there are even newcomers like Howa that makes a very handy short action bolt action rifle, who not that long ago, still said that they are not certain if they will enter the market.

Optics with .300 BLK specific reticles are made by many manufacturers, and some of them to the likes of premium manufacturers such as Trijicon and Bushnell are available in SA.

On the accessories front, top tier companies such as Magpul have put their weight behind the .300 BLK to the degree that they are making magazines that have been optimised for the calibre.

Elsewhere on here is a thread where notifications were updated on new companies that entered the .300 BLK market. At some point in time, it became so mainstream that it became pointless to update the thread, the point was made.

I get the impression that whatever .300 BLK rifles (semi and bolt) were imported into SA, were sold, perhaps there are literally less than a handful left. Maybe this is just the thing, if more rifles were available and on the shelves of dealers, and the average Joe who does not have the background knowledge to appreciate the advantages of .300 BLK over .223, was introduced to the option, .300 BLK would have been even more popular in SA than it is.

Ps. congratulations with your license approval, did you get the card in time for lockdown?
    Where are you getting ammo? I know of a store with Aero precision rifles at good prices... Tempting prices if the ammo is available its a toss up between a 12" AR a 12.5 AK in 7.62

User

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    Anybody have success loading the lee 230gn bullets to subsonic that cycles the gun? Just finished casting a few today...
    I need to procure more of them, and test further. As can be seen my load was a bit hot and running super sonic. I tested with Sierra Match King 220gr and managed to get my gun to cycle and lock back all the way down to 5.0gr Lil Gun with Suppressor (I didn't Chrony at that stage, was just function testing). I have some bullets cast by a Gunsite member that are NOE 230gr that look much more promising. I just haven't gotten around to coating and sizing them in the last few months.

Lee Reloading Cast / PC / BT 230gr 8.3gr Hodgdon Lil Gun 56.65mm Winchester SRP Converted 5.56 1105fps

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    DSG now sell DM4 300BLK uppers as well in different lengths .
    With the DM4 track record... I would stay far away from anything they offer. Not to mention it seems like the length barrels they are offering are very long and use a Carbine gas system... both of which are not nearly ideal for 300blk.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Where are you getting ammo? I know of a store with Aero precision rifles at good prices... Tempting prices if the ammo is available its a toss up between a 12" AR a 12.5 AK in 7.62
    300blk is still not going to be nearly as cheap to procure or load ammo as 5.56. The propellant type required is expensive compared with 5.56 (although an argument can be made that you are using probably half the amount per charge). Bullets are also fairly pricey if you are loading with the intention to do high volume shooting.

Cast bullets loaded to Subsonic velocities do offer a cost effective way to shoot.

Most people still form their own brass from 223 / 5.56 as aftermarket brass is still not always readily available, it has for sure come down in price over the last couple years though.

User

They offer from 7" lengths . What DM4 issues are you referring too. Genuinely interested as I thought that their 300BLK upper would make sense as I currently have a 5.56 AR, albeit not a DM4.

Page 38 of 60 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast