Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default 2017 hunt ideas.

My previous farm where i used to hunt nearly doubled their prices in the last 2 years. He is now all out catering for the overseas market, and does not really care for local biltong/pot hunters. He also started breeding black impalas, golden wildebeest and those animals that pay top dollar on auctions.

I found a couple of places, but most of them require a hunting party of 4 or more. My circle of friends don't really hunt, and my oldman quit hunting after wounding a kudu 10 years ago.

My aim is eland for 2017.
    If i cannot get eland, i would like to get 2 x of something smaller. Maybe blue/black wildebeest, rooihartbees, gemsbok, kudu cow etc... budget for game is 10k and the aim is as much meat as possible.
    My requirements for stay is as little as possible. No tv, no star ratings. A bush camp/self catering chalet with the bare essentials in it.
    I basically need a bed and a place for making food and tea and maybe a safe for the rifle while sleeping.

Area does not really matter that much. I quite like ellisras, vaal water, nylstroom, alldays, springbok pan...
    Not that fussy at all. Never hunted in the cape before. Not sure the carcass will survive a long drive like that to centurion.

So, does anything come to mind that matches this criteria?

User

Default Re: 2017 hunt ideas.

Get some more friends that hunt :)

Ok just kidding, but I have also been very fortunate that I have also made some new friends thru hunting & shooting, as I am sure many of us have.

I think a lot of us have similar issues where it's difficult to get a big enough crowd together for some nice hunting venues.

I guess we just have to keep an eye on the hunting discussions for opportunities. I want to hunt at least 3x in 2017, and have similar criteria to yourself in that I hunt for the pot.
    I like Kudu, and would not pass up a waterbuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Get some more friends that hunt :)
    It's not the easiest thing to do. Hunting friends have emigrated, moved, stopped hunting etc and unless you are active in hunting associations you get to a point were you battle to get a hunting group together. In the past I have ended up going hunting with guys that are there for the piss up, can't shoot and wound animals and end up being total a-holes.
    Most hunting venues require groups of 4 to 6 hunters or more for it to be economically viable. After all it is a business.

I have been looking for a hunting venue for myself and my son (24)to shoot springbok and blesbok. It is almost impossible to find anything. I would be happy joining up with others in the same situation to form a group.

User

Yes we are definitely in the same boat. A good mate of ours who used to really push and arrange the hunts and shoots emigrated a few months back and we miss him like crazy. As long as you like a dop or two after the rifles are packed away, you would fit in with our group send me a PM with your number and I will add you to our whatsapp and you can see if you think you would like to join in or not. No obligations either way

User

Thank Anthony. Will appreciate that!

User

Ok this will be fun

User

Anthony is a good oke, you'll enjoy it!

Problem is that a lot of hunts are also closed groups of sorts.. Late last year I organised a hunt for a group of us with guys that I knew (or thought I knew). At 1:30AM (yes 1:30AM!) the morning we were supposed to leave the guy we were supposed to drive with WhatsApp's me he can't make it anymore. He cost me enough money with the kak move that I could have shot two more Blesbuck for what I suddenly had to spent on trailer hire etc. Needless to say he won't ever get an invite from me again.. And this was someone I knew and worked with before..

User

Sent Ant my details. When I commit, I commit.
    I really need some game potjie back in my life. Need to see a bushveld sunrise, and make a game heart and liver stew with pap on the day of success. Its been 3 years :(
    City is killing me, and I need my fix.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    Sent Ant my details. When I commit, I commit.
    I really need some game potjie back in my life. Need to see a bushveld sunrise, and make a game heart and liver stew with pap on the day of success. Its been 3 years :(
    City is killing me, and I need my fix.
    Amen! Maybe some way guys on this thread can put together a solid group, do like a "2017 Gunsite hunting weekend"

User

We tried in 2013. Ended up being Wynanddl and myself who went. Was still good though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast