Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: What is wrong with me????

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I have never actually used a Smith system from what I can remember, and can only judge from the photos. It looks much like the Lansky and my guess is that it will work like one. Wonderful sharpeners but take time. A real drawback is the short stone - I have trouble sharpening a larger blade on the Lansky because the stroke of the stone is so short.

The multi edge is better in that it can take a much longer stone. It simply means that one has fewer up and down strokes, and that it is wider.

I won't touch an old rusty okapi with the chefs choice because it relies on the material removal method, it simply grinds the e knife away at a specific angle.
    I agree with you Ds J about the electric and carbide sharpening systems removing the metal and cutting a new edge each time as is the case with the hand held sharpener that I use for the tools and the lawnmower blade.

-I like the Smith as I can get it for R600 and it has 2 diamond stones with an arkansas 1200 grit fine stone and a triangular stone for serated knives and also a pen like diamond sharpener for serated blades or flat blades.

The Lanksy is just with 3 plain stones, non-diamond stones for R750.(Entry level kit)

The third option is the Warthog option with diamond stone and leather strop selling foR690. (Here the knife blade is taken to the stone and moved around as opposed to the other two systems that bring the stone to the static blade.

Anyone using these please give your feedback as it is critical that I don't purchase the wrong one resulting in me ultimately losing interest completely.

You tube has many examples but as usual everyone reviewing their own product is always the best one.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I won't touch an old rusty okapi with the chefs choice because it relies on the material removal method, it simply grinds the knife away at a specific angle.
    Pardon my complete ignorance, ds J, but what do the other sharpening methods then do?
    Last edited by LoodDruppel; 11-01-2017 at 13:47. Reason: Formatting

No one on this forum using the Warthog Multi edge 220 knife sharpener??

User

Default What is wrong with me????

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    No one on this forum using the Warthog Multi edge 220 knife sharpener??
    That what I'm using.
    I just have the special edition. Nr 13 of 40

The wooden box

The actual sharpening system

For deburing, and polishing the blade afterwards.

It works exactly like the normal 220 multi edge, except the base is different, and it comes with a nice wooden box.

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    That what I'm using.
    I just have the special edition. Nr 13 of 40

The wooden box

The actual sharpening system

For deburing, and polishing the blade afterwards.

It works exactly like the normal 220 multi edge, except the base is different, and it comes with a nice wooden box.
    Hi Crafty

I am not able to view the photos that you have sent.

I would love to see what you are using and what it looks like.

User

They are hosted on tapatalk's server. Maybe your proxy blocks them?
    I will email them to you if you like. This is really a great system. For me it is far better than lansky. Personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    They are hosted on tapatalk's server. Maybe your proxy blocks them?
    I will email them to you if you like. This is really a great system. For me it is far better than lansky. Personal preference.
    Hey Crafty

I just went back on this same thread and I think you mentioned to Ds J that you use a stone with a wire contraption and I am sure that you do indeed have the Warthog multi-edge220 which will be awesome for me to speak to someone that has used it for a while.

If you don't mind please could you mail the photos as I want to go and buy this system tomorrow but I want to be sure first.

I really appreciate your commitment to this thread,Thanks bud!!

Thanks,photos recieved.

I have been told that to stop your blade from scratching you just tape up the sides with a bit of masking tape. I have since been doing that and have had no problems at all. I use the lansky and the V Sharp 2, the lansky on hard to sharpen blades and the V Sharp 2 on mainly EDC folders etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Hey Crafty

I just went back on this same thread and I think you mentioned to Ds J that you use a stone with a wire contraption and I am sure that you do indeed have the Warthog multi-edge220 which will be awesome for me to speak to someone that has used it for a while.

If you don't mind please could you mail the photos as I want to go and buy this system tomorrow but I want to be sure first.

I really appreciate your commitment to this thread,Thanks bud!!
    Ricochet, did you ever buy the system and if so how is it working? Still thinking of getting it as ticks all my boxes for having clumsy hands!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast