Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: What is wrong with me????

This is what I use. Tried Lansky but I am a retard and only managed to totally scratch the blade. Can't knock the lansky system as I have friends who put mirror edges onto knives using it.

I touch up with my Sharpmaker and a leather strop. I never let my knives go dull. If i nick or chip a blade I sort it out as soon as possible.
    When I need to do major work I use my brothers belt sander with all the fancy belts he buys.

Result:

This then gets the leather strop.

Hopefully this year I can have some spare time to really master the art of sharpening.

Stay Bladed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    The Warthog Multi-edge is decent because it keeps a constant angle. The other Warthog systems are improved versions of the pull-through idea. If your hand wobbles you have a scratched blade.
    DsJ how does this compare to the Lansky type system? I’ve been looking at it but new to sharpening?

I just bought myself some flat stones today. Freehanding here we come.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGregory View Post
    DsJ how does this compare to the Lansky type system? I’ve been looking at it but new to sharpening?
    My experience with the Multi-Edge is very limited. I guess that both have their merits. The Warthog Multi-edge has a larger stone which makes it faster and more even. I found it difficult to get good results on a Lansky with larger blades. Not sure about the angle steepness that a Multi-Edge can obtain. My preference is to get a total cutting angle of 30degrees on a personal knife. Others I do at a blunter angle. 30 degrees is very thin but gives a very good cutting edge. The drawback of the Lansky is that one has to set the different stones at exactly the same angle, otherwise it results in a multi-faceted and blunt blade.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Whoop-whoop! Let me know when you get a cutthroat

You also need to use some technique to remove the slop in the Lansky system, ie where the guide rods go through the holes. I find a wrapping a clothed finger around it helps. The cloth is to prevent heat build-up on the finger due to the friction.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Default What is wrong with me????

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGregory View Post
    Same concept. Lansly you mount the stone, and angle it. Warthog you mount the knife, and angle it. With both stone meets blade at pre configured angle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Where did you get them. This thread sparked some motivation back into my veins to sharpen some knives. I just finished a kershaw fixed blade. Also changd the angle from 22 degrees to 17 degrees.
    I have the standard stone that comes with the limited edition multi edge. (The one that shipped in a wooden box, and comes with wooden work frame. This is fine for kitchen knives, but for my personal collection I want to take it a couple of grains finer. Ie mirror finish on cutting edge.

Essentially, I'm looking for Arkansas soft stone. My old man had one. If i can venture a guess, i would say it is 1000 or 1200 grit.

Size is 22cm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned

"Crafty, you can get good results from a normal Builder's Express two-tone oil stone. Just see to it that the stone is wet enough and that your angle remains constant. Then, polish the knife on leather and enjoy. If you really want to enjoy the art, search for Japanese wet stones. Mine are supposed to be 800, 1800 and 2600 or 3200 grit but I think they got the numbering wrong.

After running the cutthroats on the Japanese stones I put them over the lila and white Lansky stones, then on the strop.

Grillerig skerp!

User

Default What is wrong with me????

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    "Crafty, you can get good results from a normal Builder's Express two-tone oil stone. Just see to it that the stone is wet enough and that your angle remains constant. Then, polish the knife on leather and enjoy. If you really want to enjoy the art, search for Japanese wet stones. Mine are supposed to be 800, 1800 and 2600 or 3200 grit but I think they got the numbering wrong.

After running the cutthroats on the Japanese stones I put them over the lila and white Lansky stones, then on the strop.

Grillerig skerp!
    Thanks. I suspect the stone i have in my multi edge at the moment is one of those builders jobbies. 2 sides. One very rough area, and a smooth area. Black and brown.
    The rough side i used in 45 minutes to change the angle on both sides of my kershaw to 17 degrees. I did this dry. Then i used the smooth side with thin layer of honing oil. It now bites into finger nails, removes arm hair, and smoothly slice paper.

Kitchen knives i sharpen on the rough stone. Makes slicing tomato so much easier.

Can a mod please move this conversation into a separate thread? I think i have hi-jacked it enough. Sorry @Ricochet.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast