Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: What is wrong with me????

7Cr17Mov.

Chinese steel. Not really a performer, I think 8Cr13Mov is the lowest Chinese steel used in Spyderco's lineup, with "acceptable" edge retention.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Banned

The 125865 will do better for edc purposes because the handle is smooth and does not have the protrusions of the 125866. The shape of the cutting edges on both blades are so similar that for cutting purposes you will probably not notice a big difference.

Although the shape of the 125865 allows for good carrying I will not carry it in my pocket unless I can change the pocket clip position. Carrying it as advertised (blade opening towards front of pocket) will only cause the knife to open slightly in your pocket and when you insert your hand into your pocket to get something, the blade catches on your flesh whilst retracting. It happens so fast that you only notice it once the cutting is almost over. I have the scars to prove it.

I think you should look around for other knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    The 125865 will do better for edc purposes because the handle is smooth and does not have the protrusions of the 125866. The shape of the cutting edges on both blades are so similar that for cutting purposes you will probably not notice a big difference.

Although the shape of the 125865 allows for good carrying I will not carry it in my pocket unless I can change the pocket clip position. Carrying it as advertised (blade opening towards front of pocket) will only cause the knife to open slightly in your pocket and when you insert your hand into your pocket to get something, the blade catches on your flesh whilst retracting. It happens so fast that you only notice it once the cutting is almost over. I have the scars to prove it.

I think you should look around for other knives.
    Thanks for the info Ds J as this is why I need to ask the questions.

Can you elaborate on the position of the clip that is incorrect?Is it because the clip is on the wrong side or upside down or why?Has it anything to do with being either left or right handed as I thought that all knives clips were the same.

Can you point me in the right direction for an EDC knife in relation to size too without having to break the bank.

User

7cr17mov is equivalent to 440A which is a entry level knife steel.

At 54hrc the edge won't last very long but it should sharpen up easily.

The pocket clip is setup for tip down carry which needs extra manipulation to open the knife.

For the price of that knife have a look at the enlan range the steel is a better and the ones I have are all built like tanks.

If you can stretch your budget look at crkt, buck or entry spyderco.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Medic View Post

This is what I use. Tried Lansky but I am a retard and only managed to totally scratch the blade. Can't knock the lansky system as I have friends who put mirror edges onto knives using it.

I touch up with my Sharpmaker and a leather strop. I never let my knives go dull. If i nick or chip a blade I sort it out as soon as possible.
    When I need to do major work I use my brothers belt sander with all the fancy belts he buys.

Result:

This then gets the leather strop.

Hopefully this year I can have some spare time to really master the art of sharpening.

Stay Bladed.
    Shoowee. Neels vd Berg and Xavier Knox. Hoe brag mens. SO brag mens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone used the Smiths arkansas/diamond sharpening system and if so your feedback please.

I was thinking to get a lansky 3 stone regular set with an additional medium or fine diamond stone separately for maintaining my knives.

I only need to sharpen my hunting and pocket knives or should I get the Lanksy 5 stone set without any diamond sharpeners in it?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    Thanks. I suspect the stone i have in my multi edge at the moment is one of those builders jobbies. 2 sides. One very rough area, and a smooth area. Black and brown.
    The rough side i used in 45 minutes to change the angle on both sides of my kershaw to 17 degrees. I did this dry. Then i used the smooth side with thin layer of honing oil. It now bites into finger nails, removes arm hair, and smoothly slice paper.

Kitchen knives i sharpen on the rough stone. Makes slicing tomato so much easier.

Can a mod please move this conversation into a separate thread? I think i have hi-jacked it enough. Sorry @Ricochet.
    Could you show us a bigger picture of the wood sharpening device thing you using, did it come with the dubble sided stone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Has anyone used the Smiths arkansas/diamond sharpening system and if so your feedback please.

I was thinking to get a lansky 3 stone regular set with an additional medium or fine diamond stone separately for maintaining my knives.

I only need to sharpen my hunting and pocket knives or should I get the Lanksy 5 stone set without any diamond sharpeners in it?
    I need to add another spanner in the works here but it seems there is 3 options here that I am interested in

1-Smiths (Sharpening Stones stroked over clamped down knife blade)
    2-Lansky (Sharpening Stones stroked over clamped down knife blade)
    3-Warthog (Blade stroked over clamped down stone)This could possibly be more consistent by maintaining same stroke angle right through.

Is there anyone using the Warthog Multi edge 220?

What are your thoughts and how does it compare to the Lanksy and Smiths?

I need to research this properly as the knife bug has bitten hard this time and I need to do it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I need to add another spanner in the works here but it seems there is 3 options here that I am interested in

1-Smiths (Sharpening Stones stroked over clamped down knife blade)
    2-Lansky (Sharpening Stones stroked over clamped down knife blade)
    3-Warthog (Blade stroked over clamped down stone)This could possibly be more consistent by maintaining same stroke angle right through.

Is there anyone using the Warthog Multi edge 220?

What are your thoughts and how does it compare to the Lanksy and Smiths?

I need to research this properly as the knife bug has bitten hard this time and I need to do it right the first time.

Add one more spanner - the Chefs Choice as per my earlier post. It really is good, and quick. Takes out the guesswork. No hair left on my left forearm after sharpening all the household knives .

I'm attracted the 'artisanal' craftmanship of knife sharpening as much as the next guy, but I had to admit defeat after using it. Certainly not a gimic.

Banned

I have never actually used a Smith system from what I can remember, and can only judge from the photos. It looks much like the Lansky and my guess is that it will work like one. Wonderful sharpeners but take time. A real drawback is the short stone - I have trouble sharpening a larger blade on the Lansky because the stroke of the stone is so short.

The multi edge is better in that it can take a much longer stone. It simply means that one has fewer up and down strokes, and that it is wider.

I won't touch an old rusty okapi with the chefs choice because it relies on the material removal method, it simply grinds the e knife away at a specific angle.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast