Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Default Re: What is wrong with me????

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGregory View Post
    Ricochet, did you ever buy the system and if so how is it working? Still thinking of getting it as ticks all my boxes for having clumsy hands!
    Sorry for not answering earlier but I was off the forum for over 6 weeks although I was logged on all the time.

I went to see the guys that make it at Warthog and I did purchase one.

I have not had the need to use it yet although I used the Demo unit for some time and got really great coaching from the guys at Warthog.

You won't think it but the Warthog Multi edge is one of the most sought after knife sharpeners in the USA and utterly well respected and in demand.

User

The sad thing I keep seeing is that sharpening a blade is such a mission for most people. They let their edges get so blunt and damaged that it requires a virtual industrial rehabilitation effort to get them sharp again which in itself creates a barrier.

Touching up the blade as one goes along is a much better solution. A small wood backed leather hone with black polishing compound can be carried easily which facilitates this in the field. This can be easily made and works well. A double sided one can also carry finer green compound both available from any Builders Warehouse.

At home the options can be so much more varied. Get some decent quality stones learn to sharpen by hand on some cheaper carbon steel blades* and never look back. This way you can also finely adjust the edge angle to best suite your cutting and how long the edge lasts. You'll find that "edge retention" becomes a non issue because touching it up becomes so easy. You can decide if you prefer a flat secondary edge or a slightly convex one and how polished you want it. A polished edge seems to last longer for me than a "toothy" edge.

The only issue is that there seems to be a dearth of decent Japanese water-stones availability in SA and importing a range from 800 - 6000 stones is quite an outlay but you can actually make a very serviceable edge with 600 and 1000 grit water-stone using the leather compound hone.

Don't practice on typical supermarket kitchen knife cheapies because the stainless is so unsuitable the edge just seems to crumble as it gets thin and you'll end up thinking that its you.

User

A good tip for keeping blades in shape. I eat faster than the kids. So i have my multi edge 220 at the dining table. So when i'm done, i will sit and sharpen knives. All i now need to add to that collection is an arkansas fine stone, and a bigger piece of leather.

Thanks for the feedback. Think I will get one and test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Sorry for not answering earlier but I was off the forum for over 6 weeks although I was logged on all the time.

I went to see the guys that make it at Warthog and I did purchase one.

I have not had the need to use it yet although I used the Demo unit for some time and got really great coaching from the guys at Warthog.

You won't think it but the Warthog Multi edge is one of the most sought after knife sharpeners in the USA and utterly well respected and in demand.

Hi All, coming in very late in the discussion. I have been using different techniques and equipment to sharpen blades over the years. If you want to spend massive amounts of money, you can buy a Tormek wet sharping system. I have one and used it for years. But, for the average "Joe", who just needs to keep his blade in top condition, I found this product. It seems to be the cheap version of what was shown on "Wrangler Star". I think his was about R6000-7000 plus shipping and duties( don't quote me, was a while ago)

This product goes under the Ganzo name here in SA, but there is a lot on You Tube about it and how to set up a base and so on. They are about R700.00 incl

Quote Originally Posted by W24 View Post
    Hi All, coming in very late in the discussion. I have been using different techniques and equipment to sharpen blades over the years. If you want to spend massive amounts of money, you can buy a Tormek wet sharping system. I have one and used it for years. But, for the average "Joe", who just needs to keep his blade in top condition, I found this product. It seems to be the cheap version of what was shown on "Wrangler Star". I think his was about R6000-7000 plus shipping and duties( don't quote me, was a while ago)

This product goes under the Ganzo name here in SA, but there is a lot on You Tube about it and how to set up a base and so on. They are about R700.00 incl
    That looks pretty awesome.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7