Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Old Year's Kudu.

This bull has been visiting a willow tree, a 100 meters away from my stoep, regularly. Yesterday afternoon, while getting the braai started, my wife noticed him approaching. A little more than an hour went by, from the time we first saw him, until he started browsing.

User

Default Re: Old Year's Kudu.

Wow that is an awesome view to share with the wildlife

User

Nice

User

Damn that must be quite something to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Awesome view ! Very jealous indeed !

User

TS - Previously only seen cows browsing on willow. This is a first for me. Nice young bull with some growth still coming.

Banned

Very good to start the year with such a nice picture. Got the juices flowing to plan enough hunts for this year. Thanks for the reminder

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    TS - Previously only seen cows browsing on willow. This is a first for me. Nice young bull with some growth still coming.
    This tree is frequently visited by both kudu and eland, which explains the browse line.

As you probably know, the willow (Salix babylonica) is the source of one of the oldest medications known to man.
    Salicilic acid, also known as "aspirin" has been used as an analgesic for centuries.
    In the late 20th century it was also discovered that the anti platelet clotting action of aspirin in low doses, helps to prevent heart attacks and strokes.
    It is still very commonly used for that purpose.

TStone, do you think these kudu are self medicating, or are they browsing for the nutritional value?
    I have seen kudu eating aloes on our farm on the springbok flats, and presumed that it was for the anti tick properties.

Willie Barnard

User

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Barnard View Post
    As you probably know, the willow (Salix babylonica) is the source of one of the oldest medications known to man.Salicilic acid, also known as "aspirin" has been used as an analgesic for centuries.In the late 20th century it was also discovered that the anti platelet clotting action of aspirin in low doses, helps to prevent heart attacks and strokes.It is still very commonly used for that purpose.TStone, do you think these kudu are self medicating, or are they browsing for the nutritional value?I have seen kudu eating aloes on our farm on the springbok flats, and presumed that it was for the anti tick properties.Willie Barnard
    Very informative and interesting post regarding the willows. Thanks. As for aloes, down here in the EC ive seen Kudu eating a lot of aloes. Sometimes killing the plant. Only aloe ferox though. None of the other species. Also thought it was for parasites. Old timers down here used to chop leaves up and put them in the domestic pets and poultries water supplies for that exact purpose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast