Default Bad guys don't have rules

An extract from LAW OFFICER.com
    http://lawofficer.com/archive/a-felon-on-firearms/

Bad Guys Don’t Have Rules !

I’ve taken the opportunity to talk with felons every time I get the chance. Most cops avoid this, but I’ve found it to be a real asset over the years. A while back, I sat down with a prisoner who was headed to court on a racketeering charge. The arresting officers knew he was suspected of several contract murders but evidence was lacking, so they went with what they could. I initiated a conversation with him (you don’t talk about their case) and worked my way to guns and his thoughts on them. He started laughing and stated he’d recently seen “a funny show” on cable TV about firearms training. As most of you know, jails are required to offer so many hours of recreation to each inmate and cable TV is a way to help meet this standard.

On the show in question, an instructor was demonstrating movement during a gunfight to avoid being shot. After all, a moving target is harder to hit, right? The instructor showed how to step sideways while drawing, and to move back and forth in a figure eight while reloading. This sounded OK to me but the prisoner didn’t agree.
    While telling me about the show, he started laughing and said, “It was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen!” Confused, I asked him why. He replied, “Because that’s training for your rules, not mine. Cops worry about where they shoot, street guys don’t. If a cop is dancing back and forth in front of a bad guy, he’s just going to shoot a bunch in the direction of the cop. He’ll hit something; he doesn’t care. Dancing around won’t confuse him long. He’ll just shoot because all he wants to do is get away.” Realizing he was telling the truth, I had nothing to say. Cops train to be the good guys and seldom consider that bad guys don’t have rules.

Don’t believe this? Talk to any of the officers involved in the North Hollywood bank robbery during which rapid and unrelenting fire from the suspects overwhelmed the cops. The suspects didn’t care what they hit, they just fired rounds in order to quell the response and get away. Of course, these suspects relished the gunfight, which certainly makes them far more deadly. Check out surveillance videos of robberies gone bad and watch to see if the suspects care where or what they shoot. You’ll soon see that they don’t and we do. And that’s where we differ in our threat response.

Reality-Based Training
    I’ve thought long and hard about what this suspect told me and I’ve relayed it to a number of trainers. Surprisingly, instead of taking the information into account, they’ve dismissed it. The information doesn’t jibe with what they know to be true.

For example: I recently played the suspect in a convenience store robbery during a force-on-force scenario. When confronted by a role-playing officer who told me to put down my gun, I instead launched into an explosive counter-attack, shooting in all directions, doing anything I could to make my escape. I quickly overwhelmed the officer while hitting numerous bystanders. The instructor stopped the scenario, yelling, “What do you think you’re doing?!”

I told the instructor and the officers in the class, “Who do you think you’ll fight? An armed robber won’t always give up, and if he fights, it won’t be based on your agency’s force guidelines. He also won’t care who he hits. He’ll just want to complete his act and get away.” Now, how do you conduct interactive training? Is it reality or just a time to feel good about yourself? Is it training or entertainment?
    Recently, I was teaching a class in Florida and we discussed the possible downside of a single lateral step while drawing. One student (a local instructor trying to be impressive) objected and stated, “It [the move] might keep me from taking a vital hit.” True, but you might also be moving into a shot that would have missed you. How do you know? The truth is you don’t and you never will.

Am I saying not to move in a fight? Of course not! Gunfights are fluid and movement to gain advantage, seek cover, flank or get a better shot is a good tactic. But, is movement for the sake of movement a good idea? The suspect I spoke with didn’t think so and the truth is, like all things in combat, it will be situational dependent. If you do move, it needs to be aggressive—explosive really—as far as the environment will allow. If you can keep moving, do so because minimal movement won’t interrupt your opponent’s response loop. A single step to the side at 20 feet is a fraction of an inch to the muzzle you’re trying to avoid.

The Bottom Line

In the end, it’s a good idea to better understand how your opponent thinks and build a training regimen accordingly. It doesn’t matter if the tactic or technique is the latest trend or is taught by a cool instructor. Instead, you should ask yourself, “Will it help defeat an opponent who doesn’t think and act like I do?”

An extract from LAW OFFICER.com
    http://lawofficer.com/archive/a-felon-on-firearms/
    Last edited by Fireforce Tactical; 08-01-2017 at 13:05.
    ​www.fireforcetactical.co.za

User

Default Re: Bad guys don't have rules

Good read

User

Definitely worthwhile reading. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Thanks , excellent !

User

Brilliant read thanks!