Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default So what goes in an IFAK/First aid kit/medical bag.

I've seen a few posts on this lately. Figured I'd see if I can help. This is not a definitive list, nor is it the best list. It is however some observations I've made over the last 11 years packing my own kits for both austere and regular city environments.

Moving on, there are many knowledgeable members on this forum, they are welcome to add or criticise me ;) lastly I'm typing this on my phone via tapatalk so forgive any grammatical errors.

What goes in an aid bag:

In the medical field we often say "air goes in and out, blood goes round and round. Any variation of this is a problem"

With that in mind we need to prepare ourselves for the serious stuff, I'm not talking plasters and upset stomachs here. I'm talking and active shooter in the local mall, I'm talking a hijacked tour bus in a foreign town. I'm really talking about the stuff you think "shit that will never happen to me" well folks, I'm pretty sure the people at Ft. Lauderdale said the same thing.

Obviously we cannot all walk around with a large medical bag, so we need to focus on the basics, the necessities or the foundation of medical gear if you will. So my opinion below is factored on the basis that hemorrhage is largely the main cause of combat fatalities.
    You will notice I do not include items like trauma scissors and space blankets. This is intentional. This list will be primarily for self aid follwed by buddy aid as a last option.

These items can be listed as follows:

Tourniquet.
    Gauze.
    Compression bandage.
    Gloves.

Thats it.

Now lets expand on each item briefly.

Tourniquet: there are many. Very many.
    RAT/CAT/SOF T etc etc. My personal choice is the CAT. This is a critical item, it can stop massive bleeds. It is easy to apply and can also be applied one handed.

Gauze: Not all gauze is created equal. We have gauze sheets, gauze rolls and the king of them all is hemostatic gauze. Traditionally the "S" or "Z" rolled gauze and gauze sheets have been used to pack wounds. However where they suffer a critical breakdown is once they reach their saturated capacity they need to either be replaced or have further dressings placed over them. Where hemostatic gauze being impregnated with with am agent such as quick clot it not only slows the bleed but reacts with the blood to start the clotting cascade immediately. It does cost more but who puts a price on life.

Compression bandage:
    There are again many! Such as Criti bands/ Israeli/Olaes/blast etc then the more common to SA would be the numbered field dressings or conforming bandages.

I prefer a bandage that has a "pad" on it. As this assists with wound protection. However a good conforming bandage will work with gauze.

Gloves:
    Non powdered. Right size. Nitrile. Extended cuff if you can.

That is the absolute foundation of a kit. These items require minimal training to use effectively. Now there are other items that can be beneficial such as chest seals, however there is a bit of knowledge needed to identify the necessity of one. The above list is small because the more you add to it the less likely you are to keep it on you, I always preach a tiered approach to all gear, with the thought that "one is none and two is one" have more comprehensive kits available to you. An example the above items on your person/in edc bag. Then duplicate them and add a few more items to a bag that lives in your car/office. That way you have options. If you are travelling make sure each person has a kit and the knowledge to use it.

There are ready made kits out there by good local companies such as Tacqm and 480BC. They have the basics in them to get you started.

It is just as important to have sufficient training as it is to have quality gear. Please focus on training. Remeber the goal of an IFAK is not to provide prolonged care but rather to sustain life up until you can get the person the definitive care they require as quickly as possible.

Regards.

Stay Bladed.

User

Default Re: So what goes in an IFAK/First aid kit/medical bag.

Awesome post man ! As I have mentioned, your advice has really helped me a lot with the start up of putting my bags together ! Appreciated !

User

Great, thank you! Starting my primary and secondary bags today.

User

Thank you Mr Medic, I have had to use my IFAK in a really shitty situation, I have no training, the IFAK items worked brilliantly and I was glad I had one, so obviously was the chap that needed the help. I will stop rambling now. Listen to the advice, I am glad I did.

User

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Thank you Mr Medic, I have had to use my IFAK in a really shitty situation, I have no training, the IFAK items worked brilliantly and I was glad I had one, so obviously was the chap that needed the help. I will stop rambling now. Listen to the advice, I am glad I did.
    Well done. You should share your experience it might motivate others to get equipped and get trained.

Hope you have made a plan to re stock what you've used. All the best!!!

Stay Bladed.

User

Funny I just packed four first aid kits last night.

Besides the ones I always have at home and at work I decided to build some more FAK to alwys be in reach.

One very similar to your first IFAK description set up with the addition of having a space blanket added and using QuickClot Gauze This will now be carried on my person same as my FA and rest of my EDC.

Then one set up more for when out hiking/outdoors focusing more on joint injuries/fractures and dehydration.

Made one for the car boot that is a bit more comprehensive with some basic meds and so on.

And then expanded on a proper IFAK kit that I bought from Tacqm a wile back. This stays in my EDC pack pack.

Training wise I completed level 1,2 and 3 First Aid in 2016 and a BLS
    course for health care providers.
    This year I am going to do a BLS or rather a basic ambulance assistant course for 4weeks in March so I can atleast handle myself and my kit properly.

Thanks for the write up Mr Medic!

User

Excellent start Thudrukis, I purposely left the kit list ultra basic. However it is very important to adapt your medical load out to your environment. Much like we do with our EDC.

If you're hiking then like you say fractures/sprains and strains are far more common than gsw's. Repril Gel make an amazing compression bandage that is impregnated with their product. I always carry 1 when outdoors. It is ideal for twisted ankles and such. You mentioned dehydration, that is a killer, especially when combined with exposure. I keep rehydrate sachets as well as glucogel sachets in my wilderness bag.

Well done again.

Just an edit: With regards to a car boot kit just keep in mind the fluctuating temperatures and the effects they have on perishable items in med kits such as gels/creams/liquids and some medicines.

Stay Bladed.

User

Thank you Mr_Medic, great info here.

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Thank you Mr_Medic, great info here.
    +1

May we respectfully also suggest due consideration be given to the quality of the products you purchase, ie whether they will perform as expected when a life is at stake? Chest seals are a very good example, many of them simply will not stick when used on a real, bleeding wound. (Google is your friend, verify what works and what not)
    ​www.fireforcetactical.co.za

User

I have a basic kit with TQx2, Israeli and gause. I had a chest seal but it was a suspect one so got tossed. The gloves were also supect so got tossed recently and I need to get better quality ones.

That is attached to my range bag. I don't carry a pocket IFAK although I acknowledge the usefulness and the need for one, I just can't figure out how to carry one.

One thing I have added to my basic kit is a permanent marker, for writing times on TQs. I had that explained to me on another forum.

One thing I found interesting was the fact CAT TQs are restricted for shipment out of the US (and there are fake one around too).

On a side note, how effective are those drawing-blood types of TQs you get in some plug'n press kits? They don't look like they can apply much pressure, but then we aren't likely to be dealing with amputations.

Also, when did TQs become valuable? Back when I originally did first aid it was seen as a death sentance, or instant gangrene leading to amputations. Although I'd personally prefer an amputation to bleeding out.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast