Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: So what goes in an IFAK/First aid kit/medical bag.

Just a question Mr_Medic.

Besides the "consumables", what instruments should one pack?
    I mean, it might scare the shit out of a victim if I were to haul out my EDC blade to start cutting.

I am assuming small/medium bandage scissors, medium straight scissors (sharp/blunt point), "tweezers", maybe a arterial forceps?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    I have a basic kit with TQx2, Israeli and gause. I had a chest seal but it was a suspect one so got tossed. The gloves were also supect so got tossed recently and I need to get better quality ones.

That is attached to my range bag. I don't carry a pocket IFAK although I acknowledge the usefulness and the need for one, I just can't figure out how to carry one.

One thing I have added to my basic kit is a permanent marker, for writing times on TQs. I had that explained to me on another forum.

One thing I found interesting was the fact CAT TQs are restricted for shipment out of the US (and there are fake one around too).

On a side note, how effective are those drawing-blood types of TQs you get in some plug'n press kits? They don't look like they can apply much pressure, but then we aren't likely to be dealing with amputations.

Also, when did TQs become valuable? Back when I originally did first aid it was seen as a death sentance, or instant gangrene leading to amputations. Although I'd personally prefer an amputation to bleeding out.
    Real CAT Tq's can be bought in SA. approx R650 incl. Vat.

Those little tq's for making the veins pop are shit. They offer no pressure. Buy a cheapie Rotation compression tq and apply it to your thigh briefly. Thats the sort of pressure we're talking about.

Tq's got their stigma due to necrosis caused by duration of application. Basically tissues become ischemic and die.

However with the studies conducted during the Afghan/Iraq war the usefulness and effectiveness of properly applied and placed tourniquets showed to increase the survival rate amongst battlefield casualties.

This can be transferred into civilian or LEO environments as seen recently in many shootings in America. So much so that many American agencies are now making the training and carry of Tq's compulsory.

The application (properly and correctly placed) of a quality Tq WILL reduce or stop arterial bleeding, this is the ultimate goal in pre hospital care. Hemorrhage is the main killer here, as it causes systemic failure in the body. Plug the bleed, keep the pump going. Pump runs dry, you die. (That's my motto btw)

There are companies that sell cheaper CAT Style tq's, these do work but I have had one fail on me (windlass broke) during a scene. It does not mean they are totally shit but be warned replica's are just that a replica.

Hope that helps.

Stay Bladed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Medic View Post
    Well done. You should share your experience it might motivate others to get equipped and get trained.

Hope you have made a plan to re stock what you've used. All the best!!!

Stay Bladed.
    Builder at our office, decided to both touch the electric fence and then fall off a 2m high scaffolding, on the way down he caught the side of his jaw cutting it open to the bone, I thought he had cut the side of his neck open due to the amount of blood (as I said, I am untrained ) , anyway, I got the IFAK out, got a bandage (compression, I think ) on to the jaw after putting my blue gloves on. I was also dialing for the ambulance, who came an hour later. Fotunately the bleeding began to stop as the ambulance arrived the builder went into a bit of shock so we covered him up with a blanket. Lessons learned, have an IFAK because shit happens and it happens quickly, I was lucky, get training and don't follow my example, learn to deal with blood and above all don't panic that will stuff everything up. So the builder was out of hospital 4 days later with some stiches (25) and a cool scar. Hope this helps you GS members :)

User

User

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Builder at our office, decided to both touch the electric fence and then fall off a 2m high scaffolding, on the way down he caught the side of his jaw cutting it open to the bone, I thought he had cut the side of his neck open due to the amount of blood (as I said, I am untrained ) , anyway, I got the IFAK out, got a bandage (compression, I think ) on to the jaw after putting my blue gloves on. I was also dialing for the ambulance, who came an hour later. Fotunately the bleeding began to stop as the ambulance arrived the builder went into a bit of shock so we covered him up with a blanket. Lessons learned, have an IFAK because shit happens and it happens quickly, I was lucky, get training and don't follow my example, learn to deal with blood and above all don't panic that will stuff everything up. So the builder was out of hospital 4 days later with some stiches (25) and a cool scar. Hope this helps you GS members :)
    Great job man.

Stay Bladed.

User

Great job man.

Stay Bladed.
    Thank you, not a good day.

User

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Thank you, not a good day.
    Well you played a very positive role in a person in needs life so can't be that bad ;)

Stay Bladed.

User

Well you played a very positive role in a person in needs life so can't be that bad ;)

Stay Bladed.
    True, he did come through well. There is that :)

Mr Medic, just refreshing my own IFAK and considering the contents. What is your take on a BVM? My thinking is this can be a real life saver especially with snake bites off the beaten track.

You get small packed mini-BVMs these days that are really portable.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Krokodil View Post
    Mr Medic, just refreshing my own IFAK and considering the contents. What is your take on a BVM? My thinking is this can be a real life saver especially with snake bites off the beaten track.

You get small packed mini-BVMs these days that are really portable.
    If you have the space it is a must. I almost always make sure I have my BVM in my vehicle.

For those unsure, a BVM or Bag Valve Mask is a device used to essentially breath for your patient by means of manual ventilation. It is extremely usefull when a patient can no longer breath unaided or cannot take sufficient breaths to adequately oxygenate themselves.
    Just remember if you are not using supplemental oxygen to remove the reservoir before bagging.

Stay Bladed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast