Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: So what goes in an IFAK/First aid kit/medical bag.

Thanks for your inputs!

User

Awesome advise guys.

Can you direct me to someone or somewhere that can provide training in the proper use of first aid kits. There was a pretty big incident in Standerton last week and the rudimentary kits got us through. But training is needed.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Thanks for sharing your expertise!

What is your opinion on the SWAT (Stretch, Wrap and Tuck) Tourniquet system which doesn't use a windlass tensioner?

Quote Originally Posted by Broadbandboer View Post
    Awesome advise guys.

Can you direct me to someone or somewhere that can provide training in the proper use of first aid kits. There was a pretty big incident in Standerton last week and the rudimentary kits got us through. But training is needed.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1 on this. I also want to know where to go for training.

User

I'm not sure on training, I know MDW offers a fighting while injured course which covers the use of an IFAK in austere situations.

Netcare and ER24 does First Aid training but do not expect to even see a tourniquet or chest seal there.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by R_C View Post
    Thanks for sharing your expertise!

What is your opinion on the SWAT (Stretch, Wrap and Tuck) Tourniquet system which doesn't use a windlass tensioner?
    Swat-T-Wide and CAT are categorically the only 2 Tourniquets I recommend.

User

Thanks Mr-Medic

User

Good morning, a bit of a hi-jack
    Mr_Medic had a small burn accident on my five year old yesterday, any advice on what to keep for burns in a kit as the small sachet of burn shield is all i had and it did not cut it.
    Thanks

User

Burnshield comes in many forms, gel, gel impregnated pads and full burn blankets.

My suggestion is to keep a very complete burns kit in the house if you have kids.

In a smallish med kit I'd say 2 of the "limb" sized burnshields and some smaller squares. It does not take up much space.

Remember burnshield dressings need to be replaced every 3-4 hours to be optimally functional.

Remember with large surface area burns there are a few complications that arise:

Shock.
    Hypothermia.
    Sepsis.

Shock will likely set in and as that in itself can lower body temperature and cause a fluid shift you will need to be aware and ready for it. Large surface are burns also cause fluid loss.

Hypothermia may result because your bodies most protective asset, the skin, has been damaged and can no longer self regulate its temperature.

Sepsis is more long term if not adequately treated, however it is no reason not to provide the best practice and follow antiseptic protocol.

By covering and wrapping the dressing in a sterile bandage you create a barrier until definitive care is reached. Keep the patient warm and do not put any home remedies or other kak on the burn site.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Medic View Post
    do not put any home remedies or other kak on the burn site.
    No Zambuk or butter then?

But seriously, I have a wife who burns herself a lot more than the kids do, but I have one kid who as a youngster was a bit prone to it.

Burnshield is great stuff, especially in the impregnated pads. I keep a range of sizes, from the one that is about an A3 size down to the smallest one, as well as quite a few bottles of the gel.

When youngest was about 14 months old we were in the bush for 10 days and he managed to grab the hot exhaust of a quad bike with both hands on day 1. Blistered badly on both palms and on every single finger joint. Cold water treatment, then as Mr_M says, regular redressing with liberal application of burnshield and protecting the hands with the only thing we had, socks over each whole wrapped hand, and taped to his wrists.

Took him to the doc when we got back to have it checked (along with his brother with a near broken nose, I am surprised social services were not called). No sign of damage, and the doc tells me I better wrap the hands again myself as had obviously had enough practice and was doing something right.

The missus uses the bottled stuff liberally when catching hands and arms on the oven or iron, which is about a weekly occurrence for her. Always have at least one bottle in a back, and it is great for sunburn too.

On a side note, it is amazing how quickly kids adapt. The one who had both hands bandaged took 15 minutes to figure out he could pick up things by bending and pressing them between his wrists. The dressings did not hamper him at all for the 10 days

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast