Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default 404 Jeffery : 25 meter zero to hunt at 100 -150 meter ?

Members/owners of dangerous game rifles like the 404 Jeffery: some info needed.

I bore sighted my 404 Jeffery , it is fitted with a 1.5-5x20 Leupoldt scope. Will it make sense to zero it at 25 meters first before commencing to 100 meter ?

I also would like to know at what distances you zero your magnum calibers to hunt at 100 -150 meter distances ? I will be hunting with 400 gn bullets.

Thank you for your time to reply..

User

Default Re: 404 Jeffery : 25 meter zero to hunt at 100 -150 meter ?

Gert, you should be pretty close to POA at 100m with a 25m preliminary zero.

I always say you should zero at the distance you are likely to shoot. For 100 - 150 m use I would zero at +/- 125 m. This should be good enough for any shots at closer ranges as well, considering the brain size of the type of animals likely to be hunted.

I like zeroing DG rifles from a standing position. If a bench is needed, then a high one is likely the best.

User

Remember that the bullet trajectory will greatly depend on the load used.

If you provide your load data (if store bought, what product, weight and speed achieved over chronie) it is easy to predict an acceptable arc graph of where the bullet will be at zero.

25m is not to be accepted as universal. I have had loads vary from 18m to 40m depending on the setup and distance required.

PS: I don't have a 404 but the principal applies across different calibres.

User

The thing to remember is that if you zero with a scope compared to open sights is is the height above the barrel which in turn effects the trajectory. An open sighted rifle with a 25m zero will have a different trajectory to a scope sighted rifle.
    I zeroed my open sighted 404 an inch high at 50 yard for a 100 yd (and 25yds) zero. It would depend on the animal size I intended to hunt with the rifle and the distances I would be comfortable shooting to that would dictate the zero distance but I would want to know the trajectory out to 200yds with the load I was intending to use.

User

Thank you members. I will work up a load and shoot it over a chrony. I am even considering 350 gn bullets sine it is only plains game and bush veld hunting I am doing this coming hunting season. I did make some nice shooting sticks and will do the zeroing using my shooting sticks.My first step then will be to zero at 25 meters . I will do some updates in this regards and load a few photos and a video or two when shooting off-hand.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post
    The thing to remember is that if you zero with a scope compared to open sights is is the height above the barrel which in turn effects the trajectory. An open sighted rifle with a 25m zero will have a different trajectory to a scope sighted rifle.
    I zeroed my open sighted 404 an inch high at 50 yard for a 100 yd (and 25yds) zero. It would depend on the animal size I intended to hunt with the rifle and the distances I would be comfortable shooting to that would dictate the zero distance but I would want to know the trajectory out to 200yds with the load I was intending to use.
    The change in the sight height above the bore will cause an "apparent" change in trajectory. In actual fact the trajectory of the bullet is identical irrespective of the sighting system. The straight line sighting system, being mounted at a different height, will now intersect the arc of the trajectory differently.

Most ballistic programmes require input of the sight mounting height above the bore, this together with the bullets trajectory and the zero distance will generate the drop at various distances. The table of bullet drop at various distances will thus differ based on the mounting height of the sight system although the actual bullet trajectory will remain a constant.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFW View Post
    The change in the sight height above the bore will cause an "apparent" change in trajectory. In actual fact the trajectory of the bullet is identical irrespective of the sighting system. The straight line sighting system, being mounted at a different height, will now intersect the arc of the trajectory differently.

Most ballistic programmes require input of the sight mounting height above the bore, this together with the bullets trajectory and the zero distance will generate the drop at various distances. The table of bullet drop at various distances will thus differ based on the mounting height of the sight system although the actual bullet trajectory will remain a constant.
    True. The catch here is that many ballistic calculators seem to get the first part of the trajectory (slightly) wrong, for some obscure reason. I have seen very noticable differences between the predicted and actual drop values, even though the sight height above bore was entered spot-on. The calculator will get you fairly close, but does not sustitute practical testing at the actual distances.

User

Hi Gert,

I zero mine at 100m normal for bushveld hunting, I use 320gr peregrines or 400gr claws POI is almost identical 320gr peregrines go at 2600fps the claws at 2190fps.
    both work nicely with minimum meat damage.

try get a lead sled or such for load development as the 404 gets unpleasant of the bench after about the 5th shot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Robert M View Post
    Hi Gert,

I zero mine at 100m normal for bushveld hunting, I use 320gr peregrines or 400gr claws POI is almost identical 320gr peregrines go at 2600fps the claws at 2190fps.
    both work nicely with minimum meat damage.

try get a lead sled or such for load development as the 404 gets unpleasant of the bench after about the 5th shot.
    Thank you Robert/members

Robert, 320 gn bullets at 2300 f/s seems to me the combination to look at..I prefer the slow/heavy bullet I will download to 2300 f/s when doing the upcoming bush veld hunt.

Due to it`s excellent stock design my 404 Jeffery really is a dream to shoot off hand..but I need to use the shooting sticks to hunt and practice with.

Thank you again for your input it really is much appreciated ....do you hunt with your 404 Jeffery regularly?

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    True. The catch here is that many ballistic calculators seem to get the first part of the trajectory (slightly) wrong, for some obscure reason. I have seen very noticable differences between the predicted and actual drop values, even though the sight height above bore was entered spot-on. The calculator will get you fairly close, but does not sustitute practical testing at the actual distances.
    100%, no replacement for empirical testing of each system to give absolute confidence.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast