Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 404 Jeffery : 25 meter zero to hunt at 100 -150 meter ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Knoffel, good point, I will zero it on 100 meters and work backwards to 70 meters, 50 meter and 30 meters and see where the trajectory impacts..I doubt that there will be a huge margin of difference on the short distances...maybe further out to 150 to 250 meters for this caliber..but I stand to be corrected..
    Indeed between 75 and 125 it will be very little, but other than that it will be significant.

This image shows an example:

User

It is great to have so many participants in this thread....thank you very much..Completed the final re-loading this afternoon.....I will be shooting the 404 Jeffery on Saturday at our club shoot...I will have ample time to do the zeroing at 100 meters...I will as for assistance from my club members to assist in tuning the scope until I hit the centre of the target...most of my shooting will be done from the shooting sticks... I will report back regarding this process since I need this rifle to be sighted in for an upcoming plains game hunt .

User

Members/owners of dangerous game rifles like the 404 Jeffery: some info needed.

I bore sighted my 404 Jeffery , it is fitted with a 1.5-5x20 Leupoldt scope. Will it make sense to zero it at 25 meters first before commencing to 100 meter ?

I also would like to know at what distances you zero your magnum calibers to hunt at 100 -150 meter distances ? I will be hunting with 400 gn bullets.

Thank you for your time to reply..
    Hi Gert , firstly I have not had the time to read the entire thread so apologies if my comments have been mentioned.

i have several calibers in the 40's and most of them also have either the 1-6 or 1.5-5 Leopold scopes.

on the rifles that I shoot 400g and heavier bullets I zero at 25m as these I use for DG and I have no intention of hunting DG at distances further than 25m.

on the rifles that I use a lighter bullet (I use a 350g in my 416 Rem and a 300g in one of my Rigby's) I zero these rifles at 100m

incidently my 404 Jeff uses a Woodleigh 400g and is zeroed at 25m , the sad part is that I haven't hunted with my 404 Jeff yet .

something else though, is that even if they are zeroed at 25m , I have fired them at 100m as I like to know the bullet placement at this distance in case I do need to make a longer shot in the bush.

good luck

User

For plains shooting, you can load your mono's like the 320gr peregrine to 2600ft/s, as mentioned.
    This combo is usable in both bush and plains, zero at 200m and aim dead on up to that distance.

Example :

User

Thank you Rigby/Messor
    I have ordered Stewards core bonded 350 gn bullets to hunt with coming season. It will serve all my hunting purposes while hunting the Kathu area for kudu and warthog . It is bush all around and walk /stalk hunting. So making sure it hit spot on at 100 meters is definitely a requirement. Looking at the table gives me an idea of what I can expect regarding trajectory.

User

Thank you Rigby/Messor
    I have ordered Stewards core bonded 350 gn bullets to hunt with coming season. It will serve all my hunting purposes while hunting the Kathu area for kudu and warthog . It is bush all around and walk /stalk hunting. So making sure it hit spot on at 100 meters is definitely a requirement. Looking at the table gives me an idea of what I can expect regarding trajectory.
    based on this response I would zero it at 100m - good luck

User

You are correct..all that is needed now is a photo of me posing with a nice Kudu and the 404 Jeffery...

Gert,

methinks that you could solve your dilemma very effectively by using the Maximum Point Blank Range Theory MPBR. What is this? See this article http://www.rmvh.com/MPBR.htm

It is actually rather simple once you get to grips with it. Here's a MPBR calculator http://www.shooterscalculator.com/po...00&sh=1.5&ts=3

So basically this means that you aim dead on over the entire range, you will shoot high up until your zero point and then low up and until your max range. You can select how low and high by selecting the target size.

Have fun.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

I did not manage to shoot today, it was my turn to serve as a administration officer. So, shooting/zeroing the 404 Jeffery still needs to be done...

User

paitence, paitence, paitence------------------------------------------

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast