Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: 404 Jeffery : 25 meter zero to hunt at 100 -150 meter ?

Having so few of those things you mentioning Von Gruff ...

User

Update/feedback:
    Good day members, I did shoot the 404 Jeffery today , first I participate in my Shooting club shooting day and turned the scope down to 1.5 magnification to make it interesting ..at 100 meters I managed to shoot four rounds in the vital area ...so now I know I will be able to hit an animal at 100 meters using the 1.5 magnification....

After the day`s proceedings I went to the 100 meter zeroing range...I did manage to find the centre of the target with the first five rounds adjusting the scope accordingly...the following five rounds did not find the centre of the target instead it started to climb higher and the bolt felt difficult to open...I then noticed the rounds are lying on the table in the sun and the barrel is really hot..so I stop the exercise..since I was sitting in the sun without any shade at this shooting range..

I will be re-loading again and start early morning taking a gazebo with to provide shade...One thing I notices as well is that the cast bullets really perform excellently..no tumbling what so ever..this is a plus, since it seems I can use the cast bullets to hunt warthog in July ..all warthogs shot on this particular farm is free...

I will use Stewards core bonded bullets for hunting kudu ....

Next update is when I shoot the 404 Jeffery again on an early morning ....

User

Gert...It might be prudent to back off your loads by a couple of grains.

Hunting is not a controlled envirement and your cartridges could also very well get hot from the sun inside your rifle and lead to you having hassles opening your bolt.

What about cartridges in the sun on your belt or shooting multiple shots in a big bore comp.or on the DG course?

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Gert...It might be prudent to back off your loads by a couple of grains.

Hunting is not a controlled envirement and your cartridges could also very well get hot from the sun inside your rifle and lead to you having hassles opening your bolt.

What about cartridges in the sun on your belt or shooting multiple shots in a big bore comp.or on the DG course?
    Pre 64, I was shooting earlier the morning and afterwards went on my own to the 100 meter zeroing range..it was midday and very hot the rounds was in my rifle bag pouch...hence my conclusion of the climbing bullets and stiff to open action and bolt....I will not do it that way..but start early the morning while the air is still cool and I have some shade overhead...the loads are minimum starting loads so it was not suppose to happen..

User

Gert, don't you have loose teeth after shooting five shots with that thing?

User

No, Proudprado, I shot the first nine rounds in the Bushveld tabel SA Hunters tabel, then another ten rounds at the zeroing range ...the 404 Jeffery is a mild recoil rifle, remember I loaded 376 gn cast bullets...with 74 gn S 365 ...a moderate load...this change when you start shooting 400 gn bullets with higher loads... Any load using a 400 gn bullet at 2100 f/s is more than enough to kill any animal that walks the earth..no need for speed and bashing the plaque from your teeth... I like to shoot my big bore rifles, I do not want to be a punching bag.... Here is a link to my brothers shooting the .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer...two different styles totally..

Quote Originally Posted by Robert M View Post
    Hi Gert,

I zero mine at 100m normal for bushveld hunting, I use 320gr peregrines or 400gr claws POI is almost identical 320gr peregrines go at 2600fps the claws at 2190fps.
    both work nicely with minimum meat damage.

try get a lead sled or such for load development as the 404 gets unpleasant of the bench after about the 5th shot.
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but do you have that load data for the 320 gr?

Banned

Banned

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4