Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Wrong caliber listed with CFR

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    I just licensed an Armscor M1600
    Semi-auto .22LR and my licence came back with Manually Operated Rifle under Type. This after the gunshop applied to have to changed on the system. Smh It's like they don't even look at what is written on the 271.
    It seems that some people have really bad luck with this, and some others have some better luck.

I had very goo dluck when I applied for a license for an FN Model 1900 that was licensed as a Walther (?!). When I handed in the application, I attached a gunsmith report stating that it is not a Walther, but an FN. The DFO also mate a particular note of that on the license application. Lo and behold, my license came out as an FN! I couldn't believe my eyes! This after they still didn't correct my Browning Hi Power's caliber and my William Evans shotgun that is licensed as a Purdey(!).

User

Quote Originally Posted by wave.jaco View Post
    It seems that some people have really bad luck with this, and some others have some better luck.

I had very goo dluck when I applied for a license for an FN Model 1900 that was licensed as a Walther (?!). When I handed in the application, I attached a gunsmith report stating that it is not a Walther, but an FN. The DFO also mate a particular note of that on the license application. Lo and behold, my license came out as an FN! I couldn't believe my eyes! This after they still didn't correct my Browning Hi Power's caliber and my William Evans shotgun that is licensed as a Purdey(!).
    Wow!

User

Quote Originally Posted by wave.jaco View Post

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    Wow!
    Darn, I only now realise the typing errors in my post

User

Old thread resurrection. Has anyone had issues with this? Buying ammo, road blocks etc. My BHP is a 9mmP obviously, but my license says 9mmK - - IM not lus to do anything about it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Steve072 View Post
    Difficult one. My .375 Ruger was licensed as .375 Rifle.
    My SMLE is licenced as 303 Rifle not 303 British. They call the 223 Rem 223 rifle. It is a big problem caused by their arrogant determination to ignore universally acknowledged nomenclature. It even affects descriptions of action types, thus my licence for my S&W rollie it says "handgun" not "revolver."

A dealer friend told me that when a customer wanted to licence a Contender as 223 Rem CFR said "no its 223 rifle" and furthermore that it couldn't be possible as the gun was a pistol. I recently had an as yet uncompleted experience that might prove to be an interesting test. The 1969 Act was responsible for some problematic oddities. Because the barrel was the only licenced component, the make of firearm was the make of the barrel. My SMLE was rebarreled with a military barrel made by BSA, but the rifle was made in 1916 by the long defunct London Small Arms Company. So the licence says it is a BSA Cal 303 Rifle. You don't see that anomaly with modern rifles; for example my Sako is licenced as exactly that. Presumably though, if it were fitted with a Shilen barrel it would become a Shilen rifle.

Nobody calls a Mauser 98 anything else, do they ? They were made in dozens of factories but a 98 made at Erfurt is still a Mauser not a Erfurt. Equally, an SMLE is an SMLE whether made at Fazakerly, Lithgow, Long Branch or Ishapore. My SMLE is one of three firearms for which I applied for renewal a month ago. When a SAPS captain was called to inspect my firearms she asked my what they were, and quite naturally without thinking I told her "its a Lee Enfield." I had also written "303 British" on the application rather than "303 Rifle." The captain had her own paperwork, one page for each gun, and that page reads differently from the licence. When she'd gone the civilian clerk pointed out that my application would be rejected because of that discrepancy, and did I want to alter it. I said "no, let it be a test case."

Several years ago Alex Holmes tried to correct this by giving CFR a list of the accepted nomenclatures of every known caliber. It has been ignored. It is just one more of so many aspects of the FCA that we should not have to endure.

I'm currently trying to license a Howa in 223 rem. I got a call from the dfo saying that the caliber does not exist on the system and I need a report from a gunsmith...

Not wanting to go that route. So I just told her the dealer made a mistake on the application form, he should have wrote 223 rifle. Hope it works, I'll be going in tomorrow. I didn't bother trying to explain the real problem, she's quite a handful to deal with anyway

User

I couldnt buy ammo with my license due to the error

User

Quote Originally Posted by Defib View Post
    I couldnt buy ammo with my license due to the error
    Have a similar issue, wrong rev to the type of weapon i.e. Short instead of parabellum. Been that way for 10 years and had a local shop refuse me ammo for the 1st time a month ago.
    Got my gunsmith report already now for the application to have it corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All, Same thing happened to me on my Sec 13, my firearm was listed as a short instead of a Para. Called my DFO and he was very helpful. All i had to do was take a Gunsmith report to him, but the catch is my card is not printed yet. apparently if your card is printed that's when the problems start.
    Hopefully all is sorted now

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jgrob37 View Post
    Hi All, Same thing happened to me on my Sec 13, my firearm was listed as a short instead of a Para. Called my DFO and he was very helpful. All i had to do was take a Gunsmith report to him, but the catch is my card is not printed yet. apparently if your card is printed that's when the problems start.
    Hopefully all is sorted now
    Let me guess, this happened for a Browning Hi Power?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast