Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Perimeter wall security options

Hi All

I have moved into a new property and starting to look at options of improving security as well as privacy. Unfortunately on the vibracrete sides (x2) only option would be adding another 2 slabs up. This again is difficult with the privacy vs security (not being able to see what is happening behind the walls from outside). Is it worth adding spikes onto the vibra walls?

The other area is around the pool area which is where we spend most time outside, but this is in the front of the property with the street just on the other side of the cement brick walls. Height is about 1.8, with about 2m most on the street side, but also have a stretch of about 3m which is 1.7m high approaching a gate. What would be the best option here? I don't want to add more wall(bricks). My thoughts have been either electric fencing (if possible) OR these 300mm or 600mm palisade fencing which is attached on top op the current cement brick wall. It would be easier to explain with a photo, but not sure if I want to put a google street view of my property on GS :)

Any suggestions? If they want to get in they will, more a fact of making it more difficult and also more so when we are utilising the outside area.

User

Default Re: Perimeter wall security options

I am all for higher walls and no viability into a property. In my view the visibility through palisades etc makes you an easier target. A would be BG has a much easier time tracking your movements and seeing what the property layout is without exposing his intentions just looking through a palisade. A proper vision barrier would require much more commitment to scope a place out thus making it more risky right from the get go.

The would be advantage of a see through wall is that passerby's will be able to see if something is wrong. But this only helps for a very short period in the robbery. the rest of the time they are well hidden inside your house.
    A see through wall also makes it easier for BG's to ambush you as they can see that you are preparing to leave minutes before you even start the car.

The negative of a vision barrier is that BG's can hide in your property and ambush you from there, but that is also true for a see through wall as there are always possible hiding places.

A solid wall has a better chance that the BG just goes somewhere else.

Banned

The short palisade panels on top of the vibracrete walls is going to be a waste of time in that it takes a few seconds to jump over it.
    So its not much of a barrier or deterrent.
    Rather opt for the electrical fence

User

Quote Originally Posted by da_asassin View Post
    The short palisade panels on top of the vibracrete walls is going to be a waste of time in that it takes a few seconds to jump over it.
    So its not much of a barrier or deterrent.
    Rather opt for the electrical fence
    Even an electric fence is only a temporary deterrent. We had a guy jump a wall and electric fence in our street, which I wouldn't attempt to clear if you paid me to.

User

I think we can all agree that if they want in, they will be in. The palisade\elec fence\extra barrier on top of the current wall will only be there to make it more difficult and to keep out the avg Joe just walking past in the street.
    I think the same here for the spikes on the vibracrete walls, its just to make it a bit more difficult and to keep the opportunistic passers by, out.

User

simply put, make it so your neighbours are a more attractive target (sounds harsh)

personally i would opt for the palisade panels or galvanised spikes on top of the wall

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    I am all for higher walls and no viability into a property. In my view the visibility through palisades etc makes you an easier target. A would be BG has a much easier time tracking your movements and seeing what the property layout is without exposing his intentions just looking through a palisade. A proper vision barrier would require much more commitment to scope a place out thus making it more risky right from the get go.

The would be advantage of a see through wall is that passerby's will be able to see if something is wrong. But this only helps for a very short period in the robbery. the rest of the time they are well hidden inside your house.
    A see through wall also makes it easier for BG's to ambush you as they can see that you are preparing to leave minutes before you even start the car.

The negative of a vision barrier is that BG's can hide in your property and ambush you from there, but that is also true for a see through wall as there are always possible hiding places.

A solid wall has a better chance that the BG just goes somewhere else.
    No, the correct security advice is to ensure a property is visible from outside.

You don't want people to get through the wall (vibracrete is easy) and then break in at their leisure.

Palisade looks tough, but is really not. Clearvu mesh is better.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    No, the correct security advice is to ensure a property is visible from outside.

You don't want people to get through the wall (vibracrete is easy) and then break in at their leisure.

Palisade looks tough, but is really not. Clearvu mesh is better.
    IMO this information is dated. It may have been sound advice back in the day when your neighbours gave a shit about what happens around them. Today, people only worry about themselves.
    The only down side to high walls is having to leave your house to see what is happening outside your property.

High walls with outdoors passives is the way to go.
    If they cannot see into your property, it is that much harder for them to plan anything.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    IMO this information is dated. It may have been sound advice back in the day when your neighbours gave a shit about what happens around them. Today, people only worry about themselves.
    The only down side to high walls is having to leave your house to see what is happening outside your property.

If they cannot see into your property, it is that much harder for them to plan anything.
    This is my view as well.
    Out of sight out of mind.
    If a potential BG walks past your house and cannot see your nice new car and the kids bike in the driveway and see what your routine is, and, and... It probably seems justifiable to a BG because you advertised your "wealth" for them to take it.
    As for BG's breaking in at their leisure. They can do that with palisades or clearvu anyway, they just go to the other side of the house.

If you don't want your stuff stolen don't show it to everyone. It is generally accepted not to leave valuables in a car in plain sight. Why would you leave your home and contents in plain sight?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post

Totally agree with this sentiment.
    Also, pay particular attention to your gate, this is the preferred method of entry as they just drive right up to the door. Not many 50in flatscreens being carried over 6ft walls.
    Make sure it cannot be lifted off the motor easily by installing some kind of bracket on each side of the gate that locks it on place when closed .

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast