Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Perimeter wall security options

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    No, the correct security advice is to ensure a property is visible from outside.

You don't want people to get through the wall (vibracrete is easy) and then break in at their leisure.

Palisade looks tough, but is really not. Clearvu mesh is better.
    I strongly agree with this advice. The more properties that view the street the less opportunity there is for BG's to cruise the street, hang around and be in an area unobserved. It also allows my dogs to watch the comings and goings in the street and alert me to anybody who they are unhappy with.

Visibility from many of the houses along a street allow the homeowners to dominate the street, it is an extension of their space and people entering it enter their field of view. Walls which cut you off from the street give up this visual control and allow BG's to use the street at will, it becomes a no-mans land.

I agree with garden beams for early detection of intruders but have found electric fences ineffective as a deterent and too prone to error alarms ( we have a lot of trees, shrubs and pets) to be any use as a warning.

Permeable fences are not there for BG's to window shop our homes (or for the neighbours to see BG's in our yard), they are there so that we (and our neighbours) can dominate and control the street.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFW View Post
    I strongly agree with this advice. The more properties that view the street the less opportunity there is for BG's to cruise the street, hang around and be in an area unobserved. It also allows my dogs to watch the comings and goings in the street and alert me to anybody who they are unhappy with.

Visibility from many of the houses along a street allow the homeowners to dominate the street, it is an extension of their space and people entering it enter their field of view. Walls which cut you off from the street give up this visual control and allow BG's to use the street at will, it becomes a no-mans land.

I agree with garden beams for early detection of intruders but have found electric fences ineffective as a deterent and too prone to error alarms ( we have a lot of trees, shrubs and pets) to be any use as a warning.

Permeable fences are not there for BG's to window shop our homes (or for the neighbours to see BG's in our yard), they are there so that we (and our neighbours) can dominate and control the street.
    I tend to disagree. Most people don't spend any significant time looking at the street form inside their homes. It is such a low occurrence that it should not even be part of the equation. But you leave your house in full view to every passer by. You cannot restrict the movement of people by looking out your window. You can also not prevent people form determining what visible security measures you have by looking at them from your house.

Of the 5 houses around mine one would be able to see the street from inside the house.The only house of the 5 around me that has had any robberies (3) since I moved in 10 years ago, has palisade fencing.

If you want people not to take what you have, then don't show it to them.

If you want to also dominate the street put up a camera. that way you have a record of what goes on outside without showing the world your underwear.

User

does it really matter if you have visibility to the street, once he is in your house nobody is going to be seeing him anyways, add the fact that they usually reverse a car up to your front door and are gone in a matter of minutes i feel its a mute point,

Personally id rather not give the BG the option of seeing anything in my property, as firstly this increases my home base advantage, secondly he has no clue if you have a pug or 90kg rotti on the other side of the wall.

From personal experience do not rely so heavily on neighbours dominating the street, or even coming out their homes when SHTF
    we started a CPF and had 12 guys looking after 700 houses, nobody really cares about anyone anymore, so with the new property im moving into, layered defenses and my neighbours are going to look a hell of a lot more attractive as a target than me.

User

The research on home robberies ( http://www.ckn.org.za/Files/Home-Invasion-Study.pdf ) indicate that neither of the views expressed above are necessarily correct and that most home robberies are based on the availability of inside information and far less on perceived low/high security. Would be interesting to see similar research on burglary category crime.

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    does it really matter if you have visibility to the street, once he is in your house nobody is going to be seeing him anyways, add the fact that they usually reverse a car up to your front door and are gone in a matter of minutes i feel its a mute point,

Personally id rather not give the BG the option of seeing anything in my property, as firstly this increases my home base advantage, secondly he has no clue if you have a pug or 90kg rotti on the other side of the wall.

From personal experience do not rely so heavily on neighbours dominating the street, or even coming out their homes when SHTF
    we started a CPF and had 12 guys looking after 700 houses, nobody really cares about anyone anymore, so with the new property im moving into, layered defenses and my neighbours are going to look a hell of a lot more attractive as a target than me.
    They can see through a gate if they are looking for bicycles or things laying around. Most gates are permeable.

The dog's bark will tell the burglar instantly what size and type of dog it is.

Neighbours notice more than you realise. I would certainly be suspicious of a strange car being loaded with TV's in a hurry.

User

They can see through a gate if they are looking for bicycles or things laying around. Most gates are permeable.

Neighbours notice more than you realise. I would certainly be suspicious of a strange car being loaded with TV's in a hurry.
    When/if you notice it it is already to late. Prevention is better then cure.

When they broke into my neighbors house I was home working. Did not hear a thing and dogs did not bark.
    When my other neighbor was held up in their front yard and shots fired did not hear a thing and dogs did not bark.
    I am a woodworker so most noises gets drowned out, except the dogs and sensors, they let me know when someone is just walking by. Cul-de-sac so not a lot of traffic.
    I am pretty vigilant and go check very time I get alerted, but you can't rely on your senses only to tell you something is up.

I don't let strangers in my property. I don't let their eyes in either.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Duty Bound View Post
    Totally agree with this sentiment.
    Also, pay particular attention to your gate, this is the preferred method of entry as they just drive right up to the door. Not many 50in flatscreens being carried over 6ft walls.
    Make sure it cannot be lifted off the motor easily by installing some kind of bracket on each side of the gate that locks it on place when closed .

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
    If you go for a wall, build it atleast 2.4meters high with spikes or electrical fence on top. A six feet wall is still easy to jump over or peek over.

User

no offence but that is not how it works

we were in a complex, mate got held up by 4 BG, all houses share a wall. he was screaming for help, nobody heard, or came to help. i got his call and ran down their (150m max) to try help,but the BG were long gone

this is a complex with 40 units, controlled access, razor wire, electric fence etc etc etc

the honest answer is visible or not, if they want in they are coming in.I would just prefer that they cant sit and see my every movement, or see what is in my yard.

All down to personal choice, but my point remains, how is it helpful to have visibilty from the road if the guy is already in your house?

User

my boets bassatt barks like a 100kg rotti,doesnt mean he is one:)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2