Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    Boss's son has the mauser m6 with a 20 inch barrel. I have the Rem 700 with 26 inch barrel. We loaded some 180 gr bullets last week and shot some groups through a chrony. Mine shot almost 300f/s faster in my 26 inch barrel than in his 20 inch barrel.

Get the 1:10 twist. I have the 1:12
    There's a multitude of other factors apart from barrel length that could be at play here, when you compare different rifles. To give you another datapoint: I own 2 308s, one has a 600mm barrel (23.62") and he other has a 26" barrel. With identical ammo, the rifle with the shorter barrel shoots faster than the one with the longer barrel.

Experimental data generated when a single barrel is progressively shortened shows that, all other factors being equal, speed loss as a function of barrel length is about 25fps/inch, as daylite mentioned.

Default Re: .308 Winchester which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    There's a multitude of other factors apart from barrel length that could be at play here, when you compare different rifles. To give you another datapoint: I own 2 308s, one has a 600mm barrel (23.62") and he other has a 26" barrel. With identical ammo, the rifle with the shorter barrel shoots faster than the one with the longer barrel.

Experimental data generated when a single barrel is progressively shortened shows that, all other factors being equal, speed loss as a function of barrel length is about 25fps/inch, as daylite mentioned.
    Thanks for the info Pirate, you learn something new every day.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    Thanks for the info Pirate, you learn something new every day.
    No worries ;-) In your case, I'd wager that the longer barrel IS a factor, but not the only factor. Your rifle may well also generate slightly higher pressures (like my BRNO does, it consistently shoots faster with a given load than the published values) which demonstrates the importance of measuring the speed when doing load development, and not exceeding the max published speed (for a 26" barrel I wouldn't be uncomfortable adding 50fps to the published value, but no more, and only if it's warranted to get on a node).

User

I have shot my 20" stock heavy barrel 1:10 twist Howa from 100Y to 1000 yards and it is real shooter after all the work I did to it. The biggest issue of course was the wind at 1000Y but it was dead on for elevation. None of my rounds will keyhole. I shoot handloads using the Sierra MatchKing 175r BTHP over Varget powder.....I'd have to go look but I seem to recall 43.5 grains. Velocity is 2595 fps. 24" and 26" barrel shooters get a little over 2600fps.

The folks who were shining out there at 1000Y were shooting 6.5 Creedmoor and 6mm. Way less wind issues.....and it was windy.

The 20" Howa does nicely with 168r SMK's out to about 500-600Y. After that the 175r really shines. Closer in there is no real value to choosing the 175's as they don't seem to do as well as they do long distance.

The Remington Milspec 5R comes with an 1:11.25 twist and is the same 24" barrel as what US military M-24 sniper rifles use. These rifle's are expensive.

Anyway....the US Military uses 1:11.25.....Howa uses 1:10 and others use 1:12........and I'm willing to bet they all send 155gr to 175gr bullets downrange just fine-depending on how far you intend it to shoot and how well you expect the bullet to do. Nitpicking about a .75 to 1.0 difference in twist seems silly. Just as important is...how is the chamber in the rifle? What quality is the barrel? What contour is the barrel? How long is the barrel? What are you using it for? Are you reloading using the absolute premium in components? Or are you using premium Match grade ammo? Is the barrel free floated? What is the BC of the bullet you are using? etc etc etc

Twist rate is only one component in the story. You could have the best uber match grade super multiple progressive contour, 1:whatever twist barrel with a 9.57653º target crown and it probably will not print worth a damn using regular factory or milsurp plinker grade ammunition. The other major component of course is....how good is the shooter? How good is the optic?

Any one of those rifles you mentioned will do you well but the edge will go to Remington. Because there is more shit made for Remmy's than those others. Remington's are like the Chevy of rifles. Aftermarket parts everywhere. As mentioned Howa is a great choice and you also have Tikka, Mossberg MVP, FN SPR, Accuracy International, Thompson, Sako, Weatherby, Browning, Kimber, Bergara on and on.

A fantastic precision rifle is the Ruger Precision Rifle if you are into that sort of shooting. NOT a carry rifle though...too heavy.

I think you should define what kind of shooting you will do with it, will you carry it all day, will you mostly shoot from the bench, how much you want to spend on it tops(considering you have to buy an optic and all the accessories for the rifle as well), how much you will realistically shoot it, what distances you will realistically mostly shoot at, how into the discipline are you, how much customizing you will want to do, whether you will reload-shoot match grade or just plinker etc etc etc.

My guess is you will be well served with a .308 Remington 700 or Howa 1500 rifle with a 24" medium contour barrel if you are going to hunt and stalk with it......or the 20" varmint/bull barrel versions if you will mostly be at the range blasting away and having fun. If you plan on later building it into a precision rifle....maybe go Remington. So many precision rifles coming out these days though.

Just me but I think I would want a semi-auto rifle for pig and a 1911 on my hip. Those fuckers can turn on a dime and they are fast!! It might get pissed off at you, charge your ass and put one of those nasty yellowed stinking tusks up your brown eye before you can rack the bolt, aim and send one into it's ugly brain. Fuck that.....gimme an AR, preferably 7.62X51 with 20 round mags and a red dot sight..... and some Kevlar undies to wear with an absorbent lining....... so my friends can't see I pissed myself when the fucker charged me.

User

How about a troy pump in 308? Accurate enough for bush hunting and faster than a bolt for reloading for pigs with a 30 round mag.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

User

I was following this but got confused now lol

I own a Remington VSSF with 26"barrel and 1in12 twist. Bought it around 1997 for something like R6500 at Taurus Indoor Through City Guns. All my other firearms in the safe has been bought and sold and replaced. Except this one. Its my favorite rifle ever. Incredibly accurate. Only use 150 and 155.

Ive heard that in 308 if the barrel goes longer then a certain point. The powder burns up way before bullet leaves. And then the last inch or two of barrel merely slows the bullet down before it leaves. Thats why shorter barrel can get more speed then a 26".

User

Quote Originally Posted by bmeagle View Post
    How about a troy pump in 308? Accurate enough for bush hunting and faster than a bolt for reloading for pigs with a 30 round mag.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Holy Moly! First I've seen of that.

What do these go for locally?

With a weak right eye and shooting pistol RH and rifle LH, I reckon this is perfect...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Budza View Post
    Holy Moly! First I've seen of that.

What do these go for locally?

With a weak right eye and shooting pistol RH and rifle LH, I reckon this is perfect...
    Found this, but nothing more recent?

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...ILABLE-IN-308)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Budza View Post
    Found this, but nothing more recent?

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...ILABLE-IN-308)
    Just contact some shops and find out. Shooting Stuff could get me one not to long ago.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast