Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: My freedom violated by the thought-police

any company can block anything they want, just depends who the network engineer is that's setting it up and the requirements of the business and there is simply nothing you can do about.
    Generally guest wifi is setup with an open ssid which means anyone in the hospital can connect to the guest wifi even your family and friends that comes and visits you.

So how do you control the wifi usage, by adding a rules on the firewall, so everyone that walks into the hospital and connects to the wifi wont beable to do download, use facebook, youtube, etc. which puts strain on the network and for a hospital that is bad.

So even if its not an open ssid network, and they provide you with a username and password but limit it to certain sites, they will set rules on the firewall to block most sites, so they can provide a stable network for the more important things.

however if you paying for it and its going to be billed on your hospital bill then they have to remove the rule or ad an exception as they charging you for a service you cannot use.

most companies that uses fortigate firewalls has general rule setup, no site related to firearms, no facebook, youtube, no social media, no linked in, no nothing... guess they dont want their employees reading about firearms on their company resources... GS is open on my side :-)

so technically your freedom is not violated, they just curbing your internet usage on their network, which you are using for free, just use your mobile phone with mobile data man...

Feedback on this issue: after raising the issue with our hospital manager, she came back to me after a day, and told me that they would be able to unblock the relevant sites for me. I told her that they should unblock it for everybody, as they were discriminating against the internet users, and the websites. (Gun and hunting related websites.) She said she would see what she could do.

Some time around the middle of May, I tried to log into Gunsite again (on the hospital WiFi) and to my surprise I could access Gunsite again! I tried SA hunt - worked as well. Asked my colleague to go to Gunsite on his phone - worked for him as well. I haven't tested it from a patient's phone yet, but it seems to be open for every one.

This is a win for gun rights, a win for Gunsite, and a huge for Mediclinic!

I went and thanked the hospital manager, and she said that they discussed it at a Mediclinic conference in Stellenbosch, and most of the delegates agreed that it was ridiculous to block the sites. It seems the lifting of the ban is country wide (all 57 Mediclinic hospitals.)

User

Nice!

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Bravo!
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

its the "small" battles like this that are not noticed, but are equally as important

well done

User

Kudos!

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

User

Nice one Doc

Fantastic Doc.

Well done. Lets hope Mediclinic gets some good PR out of this.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Awesome!

Excellent Doc 👍🏻
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast