Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Leopard shot after attacking dog handler

That leopard is definately a tom... check the general build and the size of the neck/head

Bronx that thread you linked discusses it nicely regarding weight varying depending on when they last ate. Considering they can eat a fair percentage of their body weight in one sitting that can add a good few kilos to the body mass immediately after it has eaten. The leopard in this thread clearly has a gorged belly. But still 112 kilos is difficult to believe.

User

Whether it was an Eastern Cape leopard or one brought down by the many surrounding game reserve's years ago i dont know. This might explain the size. As for the scale i cant comment. I know they use it to weigh all carcasses before they are sent to the butcher, so it should be calibrated. That said if it is off by 10kg's its still a big ol Tom.

Weve photographed some massive Toms all over that area (100km radius)in the last few years with trail cams.

User

slightly old thread to resurrect, but can anyone confirm whether the cat did the damage to the guys face or is that a bullet wound with exit by the ear ? A lot of conflicting stories running around here in the EC.

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    slightly old thread to resurrect, but can anyone confirm whether the cat did the damage to the guys face or is that a bullet wound with exit by the ear ? A lot of conflicting stories running around here in the EC.
    Now that you say it, it's certainly a plausible theory looking at the wound!

User

Quote Originally Posted by QuQ View Post
    Now that you say it, it's certainly a plausible theory looking at the wound!
    It is indeed a plausible theory given what the wound looks like. That said, it would mean that if he was looking in front of him, the barrel was almost parallel to his body. It's a weird direction that the wound is moving in. The other damage to his face doesn't 100% match in my opinion.

User

The Green Scorpions are investigating the incident.
    If it was legit, then good on them.
    If not, they will be prosecuted.
    Let's wait for the outcome.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Certainly looks more like a bullet wound than a cat's bite or scratch mark, IMO.

Let's see what the investigators decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I doubt it was the bullet (but one never knows). A 222 Rem at that distance in the cheek bone would shatter more cheek i reckon. Look like claw lacerations to me. Another pic i have:

User

I'm tempted to say that is a gun shot wound.
    Looking at the picture of the leopard there does not look like any blood on its paws.
    If that was a claw laceration, there should not be a piece of cheek still intact.

User

In a situation where a leopard attacks it doesn't just use it's claws. Also have you seen someone get cut badly. Blood doesn't gush from the wound instantaneously it takes a half second or so. By that time the leopard has done it's damage and can be off you already...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast