User

Default Price of venison?

Not too long ago I was at my local checkers and they had some Springbok and other venison(I forget which) on the shelves. The strange part, to me at least, was that it was about R60-70/kg. Is that normal? I was always under the impression that venison is more expensive that beef.

User

Default Re: Price of venison?

Venison has now become cheaper than beef in many instances.

Banned

Methinks that due to the inflated animal prices for hunting that the excess animals are now provided as venison to the retailers.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Methinks that due to the inflated animal prices for hunting that the excess animals are now provided as venison to the retailers.
    That's quite possible. The big "harvesting" companies should not let their prices be influenced much by the exotic game price craze either.

Also consider that the inflated game prices, and especially the "colour variant" craze, have convinced many small-scale farmers (or smallholders) to replace their cattle with game. Also, the demand for beef has steadily risen in recent years, so the beef prices are increasing slowly but steadily. Then we have the cost of stock theft, which is growing steadily as well. The same has not happened in the commercial venison market (yet).

User

I saw the same.... many years ago (about 15 or so) I used to buy ostrich mince or wors, when money was tight. Ostrich cost about a 1/3 of the price of cheap beef mince back then. then the whole healt movement convinced people of the health benefits of ostrich meat.... and the price got higher, and higher....

The game meat at checkers I think is sold as a bit of a niche product, or, at least in my local, only a small section of the butcher has it... At last year's prices, my average over 2 hunts came to about R34/kg of game meat. 2015 I paid average over 2 hunts about R20/kg...

User

It's normal

They usually have some good prices and some good cuts of meat