Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Impala 130g vs Sierra Pro-Hunter 125g

Rifle is a stock standard Howa 1500 in 3006. I currently have a load with the Impala 130g rounds that gives me 0.4 moa at 2800fps on a good day (thanks for the help pre 64!). Last year I took two Blesbuck with them, furthest one was 163m, one ran 30 meters and expired, the other ran 60 meters and expired.

I stumbled across the Sierra Pro-Hunter in 125g, and wondered if it would not make a better light-weight round for smaller animals. I've got a hunt planned for the Eastern Cape in July, mainly springbuck (not the Kalahari size though), fallow deer and kudu. Bigger antelope I'll take with a different round altogether.

Should I bother? Monolithic brass round vs cup & core lead round? Any have experience with the Pro-Hunter?

User

Default Re: Impala 130g vs Sierra Pro-Hunter 125g

The slightly lighter cup-and-core bullets will deform more than the mono, should have more damage. Expect less penetration than the impalas.
    Personally I wont bother. If I were to change, I would up to a lot heavier bullet

User

In .303 I found that the 125g Sierras did not group very well. The bearing surface is quite short. The 130g Impalas group very well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    The slightly lighter cup-and-core bullets will deform more than the mono, should have more damage. Expect less penetration than the impalas.
    Personally I wont bother. If I were to change, I would up to a lot heavier bullet
    For bigger game I use a 175g round.

User

pblaauw..While the Impalas are not my favourite bullet on the block,i have used them quite a bit in various calibers.I do like the fact that you will almost allways get an exit wound,caliber size though,due to no expansion.They do work well with my 458 due to a big hole being punched through the animal.My son used them for a few years in his 7 08 and a couple of my mates use them in 30 cal.Accurate with good penetration but i do not believe the advertising which states that a "shock wave" is set up by the cutting shoulder.
    A 125gr bullet in a 3006...advantages over the 130gr Impala..um,no nothing.
    Advantages over a conventional 150-180gr bullet..um,sorry,again nothing.

Disadvantages...Meat damage at close range
    ......................low SD
    ......................no long range or trajectory advantage.
    ......................Risk of either bullet failure or lack of penetration

I reckon you will be better off with a 130gr mono or a 165-180gr bonded conventional expanding bullet.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    I reckon you will be better off with a 130gr mono or a 165-180gr bonded conventional expanding bullet.
    I'm worried about hitting that little EC springbok with something like a 180g Sierra Gameking...I want some of the meat from the hind legs forward usable :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    I'm worried about hitting that little EC springbok with something like a 180g Sierra Gameking...I want some of the meat from the hind legs forward usable :)
    Heavier bullet will be slower than you current load, so damage should be less than a 125gr expanding. Bullet weight does not cause the huge damage, but impact speed surely does.

I've bodyshot a few springbok and blesbok with 150gr Interbonds impacting at around 2600fps (which is still rather high), and in no cases was it ever necessary to throw away big pieces of meat. Of course some pieces is better suited for wors, but you'll have that any time you put a bullet through the shoulders.

:- P

User

For bigger game I use a 175g round.
    If you are happy to switch between the two loads, I wont change anything. Otherwise stick to your 175gr load for all your hunting. What 175gr bullet are you using at what muzzle velocity?

User

I stumbled across the Sierra Pro-Hunter in 125g, and wondered if it would not make a better light-weight round for smaller animals. I've got a hunt planned for the Eastern Cape in July, mainly springbuck (not the Kalahari size though), fallow deer and kudu. Bigger antelope I'll take with a different round altogether.
    I think you must just realize that springbok are very soft and small, it takes precious little to bring them down, kudu can be tough at funny angles when penetration depth is changed due to angle of shot.

It's still a long way off, the hunt, you have the caliber, so no need to "use enough gun", rather "use enough bullet".

User

The meat damage caused by a 125gr bullet zipping along at one hell of a lick will cause a heck of a lot more damage than a 180gr bullet from an "06.

It is no secret that i grew up shooting an "06 with 180gr bullets and we shot litterally hundreds of springbuck.It was in this time period where i developed a dislike for the 270 and the 243 from the way they would blow up springbuck.Speed and a fragile bullet = meat damage on an unbelievable scale.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast