Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Impala 130g vs Sierra Pro-Hunter 125g

As Messor says,a springbuck is a relatively soft creature.The last couple i have shot were with my 458,using solids at 1900fps.meat damage...zero...damage to skin...zero.

User

I shoot the 125gr in my 303.
    Good accuracy, and they basically penetrate into the vitals and the come apart. Used them a lot on Blesbuck and Black WB.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...53aa9575fb.jpg

User

I mentioned the springbuck and the 458 simply to illustrate that bullet size and weight does not contribute to meat damage.
    Meat damage is a product of speed,combined with a fragile bullet,combined with bullet placement.
    But,all 3 factors must be present.You would have to search far and wide to find a bullet that is faster than my 204 Ruger[32gr at 4200fps] and a more fragile bullet[Nossler Varmaggeden] yet,if you slip this bullet through the ribs of a springbuck,death is instantaneous.It looks like a mini grenade has exploded in the chest cavity.Hit the shoulder,different story,no penetration and the entire shoulder from ear to hip bone is converted to jelly.
    Same as the 270 and 243 i mentioned.Premium bullets of today have swung things around so that the springbuck mincer reputation is a thing of the past.
    Having said this,i doubt 458Exp would chance to use this bullet on kudu.One that comes apart on a blesbuck would not be suitable on larger game.

User

Nope, i used these under controlled circumstances shooting for a vehicle, where my shots could be picked carefully.

User

Thanks guys, I'll stay with what works :)

Banned

That would always be a good choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll stay with what works :)

User

Without any intend to hijack the thread, one aspect regarding the use of solid non expanding bullets that concerns me, is the possibility of the bullet exiting and still retaining enough energy to hit another animal or any unintended target. This is particularly for me an issue when hunting herd animals in flat plains when no back stop is visible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kouros View Post
    Without any intend to hijack the thread, one aspect regarding the use of solid non expanding bullets that concerns me, is the possibility of the bullet exiting and still retaining enough energy to hit another animal or any unintended target. This is particularly for me an issue when hunting herd animals in flat plains when no back stop is visible.

Yes, it surly is nothing to laugh about...A friend of mine used Impala bullets, shot an eland cow, bullet went through and hit the eland bull ...luckily it was his birthday hunt..he suddenly got a double birthday present..and had to see the bank manager asap....needed another box feezer as well

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kouros View Post

"Always be sure of your target and what lies beyond it"

User

Kouros...A concern about mono"s passing through herd animals in flat plains?

I would"nt say it was a concern,more of a fact,but also applies to any hunted animal and almost any caliber.This is not confined to mono bullets only.At least on the open plains you can shoot an animal that is standing clear of the rest of the herd simply because you can see them.Unintentional wounding of secondary animals is more likely to occur in bushy areas where the second animal is unseen.

When shooting any animal,you must not worry about the possibillity of the bullet passing through,you must EXPECT the bullet to pass through and as pigeonpie says...be sure of your target and what lies beyond.

Just as an aside...full through and through penetration by a good expanding bullet is a good thing.The old "perfect" bullet performance of penetration through to far side shoulder with bullet not exiting,therefore all the bullets energy has been transferred to the animal and not wasted by through penetration,is a load of cow manure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast