Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Impala 130g vs Sierra Pro-Hunter 125g

Thank You for Your answer Pre 64. I see Your point and agree with You.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Hi Gert
    Just for clarification,my experiences are not with the 458WM but are with the 458 2 inch.[same case,same bullets but doppie is a 458WM shortened from 2.5 inches to 2 inches]
    The same principles would however apply,the only difference would be is that with your greater powder capacity you would get 200fps or so more velocity.
    My specs...300gr Impala at 2300fps.What you can expect:
    Very good accuracy.
    Practical hunting trajectory out to 200m.
    Exellent penetration even on large heavy bone.
    A 458 caliber permanent wound channel.
    Very little to almost no meat damage.
    Good blood spoor[you would have noticed the neat hole the bullet makes in paper?Same as on an animal and the skin cannot close on an entry or exit wound as the hole has been punched out,like on paper]
    Terminal ballistics...Animal bleeds to death internally.If you take a conventional expanding cup and core bullet and do an "autopsy" on a shoulder to shoulder shot animal you will find massive internal bleeding and shredded lungs.With the impala bullet you will also have massive internal bleeding but from your 458 hole,not from organs being shredded as with an expanding bullet.
    I have used this combination on a lot of kudu,a few eland,blue wildebeest and a number of smaller animals.
    I believe that the advertising hype by the manufactures of a "shock wave"being set up ahead of the bullet is not true.These bullets are not as effective in smaller calibers as a conventional bullet,but the hole created by the large calibers is effective.
    Do not expect an instantaneous collapse from the animal on your shot,as i say the animal bleeds to death but seldom goes more than 50m or so.
    Anyway,hope this response helps a bit and hope all good your side.

Regards

Sorry for the hijack...Gerts mailbox is full.. Was answering a query

User

Thank you Pre64
    I really appreciate the feedback on my question regarding the performance of an Impala bullet in the big bore rifles. Previous enquiries regarding the performance of Impala bullets as a hunting bullet was sketchy as if hunters was not prepared to give detailed evidence regarding the Impala bullet as a hunting bullet. Your reply is to me the first reply that has a positive response towards the Impala bullet as a hunting bullet. As stated previously I only used the Impala bullet for paper shooting, since previous replies from hunters was not favorable ...receiving your reply made me decide to use Impala bullets coming hunting season, the 404 Jeffery and .458 Win Mag will be the standard hunting calibers.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kouros View Post
    Without any intend to hijack the thread, one aspect regarding the use of solid non expanding bullets that concerns me, is the possibility of the bullet exiting and still retaining enough energy to hit another animal or any unintended target. This is particularly for me an issue when hunting herd animals in flat plains when no back stop is visible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    So as not to hijack this thread, I started a new one.

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...78#post1135578

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3