Default Mobile phones, forums, facebook etc etc.is the true art of communication being lost?

OK here goes.

So, being an older fart, I still like to rely on not just the words but the presentation of the words. So any unit of communication for me is better understood when accompanied by the ability to see the orator, to hear the inflection in the voice and the pitch. To observe the body language and then to assimilate this all in a short space of time and to decide on the motivation behind the communication package and to asses the real meaning rather than just relying on the written word. Now this is not always possible and therein lays the crux of the matter, to effectively communicate without the additional aid of seeing the person.

So while I have no wish to deny new methods of communication as part of societies progress I can't help but feeling that we often use new technology irresponsibly. I was painfully reminded of this last December when I decided to revisit some classic literature (last read as a teenager. I re-read The Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden by John Steinbeck both of which I highly recommend. What immediately struck me was the period vernacular which took a chapter or so to get familiar with. I was reminded of how language changes over a relatively short space in time and this is good because language needs to reflect current realities. As I progressed through the two books I was reminded of what a "wordsmith" is; this is an individual gifted with the ability to paint emotions and pictures in words. I too was struck by how effectively one could communicate, with few words that is. The secret being to use the right words in the right order and in the right place. I too was struck by how effectively one could actually communicate, without the visual aids of being in front of the speaker.

I work in a business who's culture is to send an e-mail rather than get off your butt and sorting out sticky situations. I have been unable to change this culture as it appears to be far too inculcated in the business culture. I hate gratuitous use of e-mails in business. There is definite place for e-mail but it cannot always substitute face time with another individual. Have we become keyboard warriors? Hiding behind the anonymity of the keyboard.

Now again I must iterate that Texting, WhatsApp, Facebook, e-mail, forums etc. are all wonderful advances in "communication" technology but that they present some unique challenges. These modern platforms can also be very damaging, the immediacy of the transmission has got more than one person into deep trouble. I believe that in order to truly maximise the power of these media forms I believe we need to be more conscientious in the presentation of our intended message.

So far from being a grammar Nazi perhaps a little more time spent in the thought and presentation would lead to more effective communication and less conflict.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Default Re: Mobile phones, forums, facebook etc etc.is the true art of communication being lo

Andrew...are you an old school gentleman sitting on an exeedingly oversize leather recliner,stained dark by time and usage.You have an old leather bound book in your hands trimmed with faded ivory to which your head is slightly angled so that the warm glow of the lamp behind you falls gently on it"s yellowed pages.The brandy decanter on the side table reflects an even softer glow onto the zebra skin at your feet on which the old labrador sleeps,giving an occasional twitch while he dreams of chasing rabbits in years gone by.

I am of course talking nonsense but what i have illustrated is that you are a person with dreams and aspirations.Unfortunately,to a lot of people you are only a name,Andrew Leigh or Pre 64 or whatever.A lot of things are written on social media that would not be said in a face to face meeting.E mails are the same and are now entrenched in a society which is loosing its ability to comunicate on a person to person level.

Technology is already so advanced that should someone so choose,they could live out their lives without even talking to another person.almost every aspect needed in life can be done electronically.

Banned

Default Re: Mobile phones, forums, facebook etc etc.is the true art of communication being lo

The difference between modern technology and old shool communication is that the modern stuff leaves much more room for selfishness. The proverbial "me, myself and I" is what it's all about. In a real sensible discussion it is , or should be, abut the theme or the subject.

User

Andrew, sorry to f@ck up your thread, just give me 5 sec to mess around.

Whatsapp conversation between me and my wife :

Wife: Such a bad day...

Me: *not responding, I don't respond to bait texting"

Wife: Not gonna ask whats wrong?

Me: No, if there was something wrong you could have told me the first time.

Problem solved, she ignores me and I don't have to play these stupid whatsapp games, until that evening of course, where proper communication is mandatory for reasons I don't understand yet............

User

Yep absolutely agree that social media has created allot of keyboard warriors.

People forget their manners quickly and can be easy to insult or attack someone over social media. But put that person face to face with another person and voila all the manners return.

I cant stand Facebook and the likes and don't belong to any of that shit. I can understand from a business perspective to advertise it must be great. Otherwise its just a glorified way of keeping up with the Jones's and a platform for people to show off their lifestyles.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Black-ops View Post
    Yep absolutely agree that social media has created allot of keyboard warriors.

People forget their manners quickly and can be easy to insult or attack someone over social media. But put that person face to face with another person and voila all the manners return.

I cant stand Facebook and the likes and don't belong to any of that shit. I can understand from a business perspective to advertise it must be great. Otherwise its just a glorified way of keeping up with the Jones's and a platform for people to show off their lifestyles.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Andrew...are you an old school gentleman sitting on an exeedingly oversize leather recliner,stained dark by time and usage.You have an old leather bound book in your hands trimmed with faded ivory to which your head is slightly angled so that the warm glow of the lamp behind you falls gently on it"s yellowed pages.The brandy decanter on the side table reflects an even softer glow onto the zebra skin at your feet on which the old labrador sleeps,giving an occasional twitch while he dreams of chasing rabbits in years gone by.
    Andrew, there is your wordsmith, right here on Gunsite!