Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Mossberg SPX mag tube spring

I have the 18.5 inch version of the 930 SPX and need a replacement mag tube spring. Haven't had any luck sourcing one locally so may have to import.

Before going down that road, does anyone know of a local supplier that could supply?

User

Default Re: Mossberg SPX mag tube spring

Shooting Stuff sells looooong (1,2m I think) springs that you then cut to required length. Should work.

User

Thanks for the response. That is long, 1200mm probably gets me 2.

User

For a competition gun you can get away with a spring that is 75 to 100mm longer than your mag tube. You can also tie 2 springs together with copper wire to play around and test spring length.

User

Beware of just cutting it shorter right off the bat. Get the whole thing into the tube and load up in order to compress the spring at least once before you measure and cut. Like Vaal said, tube length plus 75 to 100mm is normally fine. If you however cut and then compress and the spring "settles" to a shorter length, you are then buggered.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    For a competition gun you can get away with a spring that is 75 to 100mm longer than your mag tube. You can also tie 2 springs together with copper wire to play around and test spring length.
    Would you recommend something longer for a gun that may be used in social situations?

User

Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    Beware of just cutting it shorter right off the bat. Get the whole thing into the tube and load up in order to compress the spring at least once before you measure and cut. Like Vaal said, tube length plus 75 to 100mm is normally fine. If you however cut and then compress and the spring "settles" to a shorter length, you are then buggered.
    Thanks, that makes sense.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Would you recommend something longer for a gun that may be used in social situations?
    The idea is that the stiffer the spring the more reliable the feeding is supposed to be. Longer spring equals slower loading and maybe 1 round less in the tube. My semi's spring used to be about double the tube length and that was a bitch to load. Where is your old spring, how much longer/shorter is it than the tube? I tried 1 in my pump action which was 10mm longer than the tube with extension on, you had to seriously shake the gun to get the last round out. Clearly too short.

User

Stiffer for more reliable feeding makes sense.

The spring that it came with was very difficult to install as the choate tube extender is blind. The spring therefor protrudes miles from the tube and you then have to capture it with the extension and then compress it while at the same time turning the extension to engage the thread on the main tube. Because the nut on the end of the extension is fixed this causes the spring to twist and makes it impossible for me at least to get it in straight.

Repeated twists caused it to deform at the ends and then sometimes bend over and bind reducing mag capacity to 5. I trimmed the ends off the spring in steps and function tested each time and eventually got it to work. Suspect that it is a bit soft and would therefor like to replace it. Will also look to get an extension with a removable end cap to ease reassembly.

User

I got a Shooting Stuff replacement spring for my SPX and after a lot of trimming and function testing found that it has coils that are too thick to allow for full mag capacity.

I'm therefor on the hunt for an original, or at least equivalent spec, spring. Any ideas as to who my stock such a thing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast