Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Sports adventure shooting Level 3... a personal synopsis if you will.

A dialogue on my most recent Sas experience.

Thursday 12th January 2017, it begins. I finally receive confirmation that I will not have to work that coming weekend. It's on! After hurriedly exchanging messages it appears there is still space for me to attend.
    Having done my L1 last year, I believed this would be a challenge but nothing really out of my realm. I mean it’s basically a double distance hike of the Level 1, less shooting, and a nice evening out camping, it can’t be that hard can it?
    My commitments get the better of me and I only get to sorting out my gear late Friday evening. Packing lists laid out, I start to think, man I have a load of stuff here, and my gadget geekdom shows as I empty out my bags to confirm I have everything. It seems that I take the “One is none, and two is one” ideology to the extremes. Out comes all the overly redundant items, for instance a total of 7 lighters spread out in my gear, as well as flint and matches... I guess my lack of fire making ability shows in my “preparedness”.

A few hours later, bags are packed. Level 2 pack has been weighted and is now down 4kg from it’s previous weight, I do still have extras not on the packing list... you know for in case.

Level 3 bag is packed with everything even down to my fully stocked in car Med Kit. I relax then realize... My Rifle! I haven’t even hauled it out the safe, out it comes gets nice slick lube job, check batteries and sling... we’re good!

Saturday 14th January 2017 I rise, well more like crawl out of bed. Damn last night was rough, late night and some tossing and turning due to excitement of being able to just be “outside”. Load the car, Level 1 kit...check, Level 2 kit...check, Level 3 kit...check. We’re good, time for a cup of coffee before I head out.

As I head out my gate, I receive a call from my wife “you left a bag here, the long brown one”. Ahh, FFS! How could you leave your rifle behind? Luckily I wasn’t far off. Take 2, off we go.

As I drive into Funky Town it becomes apparent this is going to be a little harder than I thought. It appears that a large amount of rain that had fallen that evening and the ground as I drove in looks thoroughly saturated. No worries it’s a little water. Stop the car unload the gear have a look around some very familiar faces along with some I have not seen before, as usual everyone is friendly, you could almost say brotherly.
    Gear check goes off without a hitch, Rifle very present this time, everything signed off and I’m ready to go.

Uh Oh! I get called up and told to be on standby, next on deck, but hang on I’m not at my starting point, I’m still at the club house, my next thought is why I am not being taken to the place I started my Level 1 hike? It becomes apparent; this is not the same hike x2 as the Level 1.

Camo crackles over the radio, “Grunt do you copy? Stand by for release”, “Release in 10,9...2,1 GO!”.
    Leaving the Rally Point at a brisk pace, I have to constantly remind myself to keep a set pace, but it’s hard as I’m excited and this is going to be fun! I hit the first waypoint and confirm co-ordinates via comms, and off I go. This isn’t so bad so nice scenery, fresh air, things could be worse; and worse they got. The 6.4km hike from waypoint to waypoint felt like a continuous upward gradient. To make things worse the soft ground had been turned up along the route by some local cattle making each step a potential rolled ankle, or face plant into the mud. Over-watch crackles over the radio “proceed in a South Easterly direction towards the dam”.

A respite, a downhill of about 500m towards the dam. Arriving at the waypoint I’m given two options cross through the dam, or do a 360 around it carrying 2 silhouette steel targets. The choice was obvious, I’m hot, sweaty and tired. The route is shorter, cooler and less effort. Let’s go! Wading through the water everything is peachy, not even a few noise generators could stop my utter enjoyment of the cool water.

Emerging from the dam, well... my legs gave in all the extra water weight was just too much for them, down I go. My only thought while heading face first into the dirt is “booger hooker off the bang stick”. I hit the deck with a thud, I’m too tired to even stop myself and even less tired to care about my left hand in the thorns. With some help from the support guys I get myself back onto two feet and make the 200m or so down to the range. In this time I’m overtaken by another intrepid Sas’er.

I get to the range, the make ready command is issued at the 50m mark. I take a deep breath and get into the prone position. Five minutes and all I need is 5 rounds on a 230mm target. I commence firing, and cease after 10 or so rounds. I honestly couldn’t keep count due to my huffing and puffing. We move back to the 100m make, and the same process is followed, down I go. This time I try to remember to count my rounds but forget after the third one, still too tired to remember.

“Rifle clear, you may proceed”, and off we go. I’m left in the dust by my fellow Sas’er. I take his lead and make a beeline through the low bush and thorn trees towards the clubhouse. As I emerge and stumble up to end point. Touch down! I am back!

The brotherhood comes to my rescue grabbing my 21.6kg of gear and helping me doff it. “Just a walk in the park”, as I had joked before setting off, a walk that was not yet done with me.

Radio confirmation comes in: 5 hits at 50m, but only 4 hits at 100m! Impossible I know my zero! I am given some time to re-don my gear, which now feels 10 times its weight, I’m wet, my feet are sore, and I’m just about spent!
    One last push and off I go, the 200m or so to the range feel like another 6.4km, the shooting felt even worse, the hike back to end point, well that wasn’t too bad, whether I qualified or not, this was a really good walk in the park!

Times are in, and it will all come down to my optional gear, I made sure I had it all (well except the radio). I would have to wait and see how the evening camp out portion would go.

As the sun began to sink on the horizon my partner in crime for the evening, Blitz, and myself head out to find a suitable spot to setup camp. We decide on a small thicket of trees, with some great cover from the wind, and anyone who might be moving about in the darkness. I took the minimalist route with my gear. I took some paracord and a couple SADF ground sheets as my shelter. I didn’t think that one through, as much as I use a similar setup when I go out camping, I’m not usually deathly tired when I setup camp. I half ass my shelter and settle in for the evening under my Woobie (USMC Poncho Liner). Pull open a MRE and heat up the main meal, once done I throw the heater under my Woobie for some extra warmth.

This isn’t so bad, and I settle in for the evening. Listening to the coyote’s in the distance is relaxing.

I almost immediately doze off, only to wake with some pretty heavy winds blowing my shelter around a bit and causing it to shift and expose my open side to the wind. Lesson learnt don’t be lazy! I eventually curl up in a ball shove my head under my Poncho liner, and wrap my Shemagh over my head and say F@*k it, and roll over going back to sleep.
    I am woken from my slumber at almost 4am on the dot, clear as day hear Blitz from his shelter, “did you hear that?” I respond with a negative, to which he replies “I heard two voices”. I ask him which direction “coming from your direction” he replies. Ah shit, it’s pitch black, I have removed my contact lenses, and I didn’t bring glasses, this is just fantastic! Lying on the deck peering out into the darkness my rifle right at my side, listening intently and remembering the guys at the clubhouse saying they would not be coming out tonight, stupid games, stupid prizes and all that. I lay there in the darkness, in silence for around 30min, when I hear a sound from behind me, I instantly recognize it. My partner in crime Blitz has returned to his deep slumber, and throaty snore.

At that point it’s be 30 minutes or so, and I doze back to sleep only to wake again just after 6am. Well i’m still alive, so that’s great. I get up have a look around and decide to make myself some coffee. At that point the radio crackles to life with the guys at the clubhouse saying they have put some water on the fire for us. I don’t think I’ve wanted a cuppa joe so badly. Hastily I break down camp and return my site to its original state.

Later that morning Blitz admits he wasn't sure if he really heard noises or was dreaming and woke himself with a skrik.

Slowly we make our way back to the club house. I am still half asleep and pretty sore but I will do it again, this year even. I loved it.

Oh, and you know how they say antibiotics are life savers, well for me they were Level 3 savers. Their extra points pushed me over the line. I am an official Level 3 Sas member for 2017.

If ever you want to meet a great bunch of guys, willing to shoot the breeze, do some training, rag on you, and even lend a helping hand if you so need it. Then you have got to meet this bunch of fellers!

Some final notes, I am unfit say 25kg over weight unfit and it was tough for me. We have members that thi really is a walk in the park for. I will make it my goal to at least do the hike and not feel like dying afterwards.

Secondly when you go man down it can knock your zero out, my zero was knocked out just one click right on my red dot enough to make me miss shots at 100m especially when I was gasping for breath trying to hold the rifle steady.

Thirdly I think dumping the ground sheets, and using a Bivouac is a better option less hassle to setup a sturdy shelter when you are tired, I’m sure the extra weight is well worth it.

User

Default Re: SAS Level 3... a personal synopsis if you will.

Nice write up Grunt! Well done on qualifying. It is tougher then people realize.

I enjoyed the read and the pics.

See you at the next session!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Awesome writeup!!

Definitely something I want to do when finances allow

Excellent. Real good read. Will keep this in mind for future reference when time and finances allow

User

I would really like to try this, but not available in my area.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Knoffel View Post
    Awesome writeup!!

Definitely something I want to do when finances allow
    Cool, remember you can come and try it with the gear you have. Lots of us started with bolt guns, .22's, etc. in fact I did my first level 1 with my shotgun!

Come and do it.

User

Very nice read, now I am even more anxious to do this

User

Great write up looks like loads of fun. Congrats on Level 3

User

Quote Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
    Cool, remember you can come and try it with the gear you have. Lots of us started with bolt guns, .22's, etc. in fact I did my first level 1 with my shotgun!

Come and do it.

I am actually keen on doing it with either my 308 (my hunting/target rifle), or my 303 (open sights).

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Knoffel View Post
    I am actually keen on doing it with either my 308 (my hunting/target rifle), or my 303 (open sights).
    Just remember the ammo (weight) that you'll have to carry...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast