Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: RAILED DUST COVER

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    You dont want a red dot closer to your eye. Remember reading about tests years ago where better accuracy was achieved when the red dot was further away.
    Would this be for just the AK platform or in all circumstances?

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    You dont want a red dot closer to your eye.
    Top IPSC shooters in the world don't seem to agree and they want all advantage there is. Just saying...

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Top IPSC shooters in the world don't seem to agree and they want all advantage there is. Just saying...
    Unless top IPSC shooters are using monolithic uppers they are restricted to how far forwards they can mount their RDS on a typical AR.

Firstly, GAZZAMCK, talk to Rescomp for your Fab Def cover.

Also abandon any fantasy of seeing the rear sight through this setup. Unless you zero on the 300m setting or more you will not see the rear sight over the lip of the RDS optic.

I have a 2MOA H-1 on a Troy railed gas tube - but the retention nut has a tendency to come lose under recoil without a generous helping of locktite.

I am currently trying out the NC Star cover with micro dot mount (only accepts NC Star RDS) as I got it at a substantial discount. The picatinny rail is out of spec - appears to be slightly too wide and will not accept the H-1 mount. I'm not holding my breath on it (the accompanying optic with its moon-sized reticule) retaining zero though, but hoping to be suprised. There is a clip at the front end designed the slot between the dustcover and the bottom of the rear sight. I turned this plate around so the fat end got tension applied by the rear sight spring. Tighter fitting dustcover than the original rinco one.

At this point I'll probably get the MI micro mount and put the H-1 on it.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    Unless top IPSC shooters are using monolithic uppers they are restricted to how far forwards they can mount their RDS on a typical AR.
    Top IPSC shooters wouldn't be using a red dot sight as a primary optic as it would put them in Open where variable scopes are the only way to go.

It would be a secondary optic for them

User

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver_WP View Post
    Firstly, GAZZAMCK, talk to Rescomp for your Fab Def cover.

Also abandon any fantasy of seeing the rear sight through this setup. Unless you zero on the 300m setting or more you will not see the rear sight over the lip of the RDS optic.

I have a 2MOA H-1 on a Troy railed gas tube - but the retention nut has a tendency to come lose under recoil without a generous helping of locktite.

I am currently trying out the NC Star cover with micro dot mount (only accepts NC Star RDS) as I got it at a substantial discount. The picatinny rail is out of spec - appears to be slightly too wide and will not accept the H-1 mount. I'm not holding my breath on it (the accompanying optic with its moon-sized reticule) retaining zero though, but hoping to be suprised. There is a clip at the front end designed the slot between the dustcover and the bottom of the rear sight. I turned this plate around so the fat end got tension applied by the rear sight spring. Tighter fitting dustcover than the original rinco one.

At this point I'll probably get the MI micro mount and put the H-1 on it.
    I now have a MI mount on my AK which I combine with a Deltapoint I have and will test shoot it next weekend (4Feb) - I will give feedback.

Mounted and checking it in the dry I like it so far. The back-up iron sight setup works very well.

In range testing I will first zero the irons and then mount the Deltapoint. This way round because it will be difficult to tighten the set screw of the iron sight deflection setting with the RDS mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    I now have a MI mount on my AK
    Speaking of, do you have stock yet?
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

User

QUICK

that NCstar railed cover (low mount rail not that HUGE one) is readily available and affordable

please let me know how it works out as i just want the option of being able to set a RDS along the length of the gun

RESCOMP has been mailed twice,once today and once last year, no response as yet

FAB defense got back to me from israel and will ship

albeit a sub R4400 decision against the NCSTAR of R1000 some change

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    QUICK

that NCstar railed cover (low mount rail not that HUGE one) is readily available and affordable

please let me know how it works out as i just want the option of being able to set a RDS along the length of the gun

RESCOMP has been mailed twice,once today and once last year, no response as yet

FAB defense got back to me from israel and will ship

albeit a sub R4400 decision against the NCSTAR of R1000 some change
    I have the NCstar cover and it works for me, yes you can feel it is a bit loose so I am sure it is not going to hold 100% zero. But in my mind it is still better than nothing.

And I can use my irons through the RDS

My problem is I don't want to modify my AK so installing a IM is not a option.

I also looked at the FAB option, IMHO way too expensive

User

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod95975.aspx

This. And it's under the$100 limit.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast