Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    User

Default Re: SHOULD I STAY OPEN?

I remember you writing about your range with such pride and satisfaction, posting pictures and inviting enthusiasts to come along and shoot... Don't be put off by two Vallies (I'm from Jhb too) flexing their financial clout and trying to impose their will on people that live in the area, rather than coming along every 6 weeks and dictating terms....
    Fukkem... Organize a 3 gun shoot every weekend they there.

You may have done so already but having allies does not do any harm.

Offer special discounts to all the local gun shops to use your facility.
    Allow hunting / shooting organisations to have lock up facilities on your range for their gear.

Think you get the drift; that way you increase the influence of your facility in the community.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Hi All!

Thanks for the renewed interest. Nothing much has changed. From what I understand he (neighbour) now has instructed his garden technician/caretaker to record every shot/time/day that the range is used. What he intends to do with this info is unclear, but safe to say not to our advantage.

Also he has started fencing his property, through which our access road passes to get to the range. What he intends to do with regards to gates etc, also remains to be seen..... another fight coming I think!

Yes I have also secured the support of all local gunshops, local DFO, Provincial DFO, and shooting community that uses my range.

Now it's wait & see what happens next. In the meantime we continue to operate.

Anyways you can sit down with the guy and understand what his real motivation is?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Anyways you can sit down with the guy and understand what his real motivation is?
    Long past that stage (I tried many times). He avoids all contact with me & sends messages with his workers.

Andrew, I think he doesn't like the noise. (?). I wouldn't if I had bought a "quiet" place somewhere in the bush. I would hate to hear endless gunshots, shooter though I am too.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Yip, probably a catch 22 in which neither party can reach compromise.

I would like to come visit/use your range some time in near future. Are you open every day?

User

Quote Originally Posted by SJC View Post
    I would like to come visit/use your range some time in near future. Are you open every day?
    You are most welcome. We are open Mon-sat , 08h00 to 17h00. Bookings are essential. Phone Estelle on 072 732 5105.
    See www.jwshootingrange.co.za for pricing & more info.

User

For all those interested parties whom have been following this thread:

Although a lot of rumour and hear-say is being spread around, I have had no more official communication from the neighbors involved. I do however believe that they have not given up on their efforts to close me down.

Whatever their intentions, I have taken their complaints about the noise seriously and have constructed sound-suppression measures on the 200 metre range (the offending range). Preliminary tests show a 40-50% reduction in noise levels imparted by shots on this range, (measured with a decibel-meter app on a windows smartphone). I don't know if this will diffuse the situation or perhaps make it worse...... depends on if they view my efforts as a sign of weakness / capitulation, or a genuine effort to reduce their discomfort with the range.

So it remains a wait & see situation.

Attachment 26311Attachment 26312Attachment 26313Attachment 26314Attachment 26315

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast