Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default First club shoot and I am terrified

Hi guys and girls I want to take part in my first club shoot in march and I am terrified I have no idea what to expect or am I ready. I have been on a lot of shooting ranges with a lot of round but the idea of shooting comp has me rattled. Do you have any tips or advise? I sometimes struggle to see if I hit a target or not will I look like a complete idiote while competing ect. These are some of the things that stopped me from shooting club shoots last year.

User

Default Re: First club shoot and I am terrified

To be honest, no one cares if you hit a target or not at a shoot, or shoot a number of penalty targets, or fumble a reload, or look silly. As long as you are safe and listen to the RO everyone will be happy.

It's like golf, everyone has to start somewhere and every person shooting at the match started off as a novice.

Relax, find someone that will help you through the match and most importantly, take your time and be safe.

User

Quote Originally Posted by jordens View Post
    Hi guys and girls I want to take part in my first club shoot in march and I am terrified I have no idea what to expect or am I ready. I have been on a lot of shooting ranges with a lot of round but the idea of shooting comp has me rattled. Do you have any tips or advise? I sometimes struggle to see if I hit a target or not will I look like a complete idiote while competing ect. These are some of the things that stopped me from shooting club shoots last year.
    Just go do it.....stop stressing about it and DO IT.

The other guys will help and guide you.

The first one will be hectic, they get a bit easier.

User

What pdh said..

User

I shoot kak... my squad use to laugh at me now they just feel sorry for me 😂

Just go out there and have fun and don't be that guy not picking and patching.

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

I've been to club shoots where I've emptied a whole mag at a steel plate (and still missed). Felt like a tool, but somehow no one laughed and I still enjoyed the shoot. Other days I've seen others struggle with a stage or a specific target and I didn't laugh at them. At best I thought about how I would need to approach the target when it was my turn, or what practice would make sense to improve on that type of target.

The best part is seeing yourself improve over time (in my case sometimes it feels frustratingly slow, but when you look back you can clearly see how far you've come).

Don't worry about it, read through the rules before you go, and rather take it slow and steady and focus on safety and listening to the SO's instructions. Speed and accuracy comes later.

User

Ok thanks helps alot I have allready decided to shoot in the next club event in March I just need to get the first one behind me then I think it would go better

User

Try and be the last one to shoot the stage in your detail (most SO's will understand that you are newbie and won't have a problem with this), it will help you to settle down a little bit more as you watch whats going on.

And relax, you are going to have FUN!

User

pdh is your guy for info. Here is what I can tell you........I feel the same way and I was nervous of making a fool out of myself also at rifle comp.

However.....everyone starts there dude-at the bottom. I don't care if your name is Brian Enos or whoever (whoo old school), you are going to be clumsy when you start. At least you are going bub. You are getting yourself out there, taking the plunge. I am extremely respectful of that man.

Good luck.

Listen I'm no expert on these handgun comps at all and not that much with rifle either. But just to be sure, you and your brain are your own worst enemy at comps. Psyching yourself out, overthinking shit etc.

Dude, go there to have fun. It's not rocket science and dudes who are master champions...so what...it's not like they are finding a cure for erectile dysfunction or cancer or something. It's a sport....a discipline. Don't take it too seriously unless you get really effing good......then take it very seriously!

The guys who have been shooting comps a while will help you find your feet. Someone there will be glad to help you. Maybe someone else who has 5, 10 whatever shoots behind him/her will want to guide you and give tips he/she learned from someone....to pay it forward.

Shoot the one you are going to and the next is that much easier until you will blink and it will be so far behind you, all the nervousness etc that you will laugh at it. Also if you can't or don't want to shoot a comp one weekend-for whatever reason, try go there and offer to help with setups etc or organizing the shooters etc whatever you can help the club do...targets etc. That is one way to really learn shit and to get to know all the blokes also.

Good on you for taking the plunge friend.......your'e a better man than I. I want to shoot pistol comps also.....my lame excuse is that I have so many irons in so many fires right now that I just can't get to it. One day. You are inspiring me.

Please....please come back and let us know how it went.....from your nerves etc to how you shot and how it felt at the end of the day.

Enjoy yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridwaan87 View Post
    Try and be the last one to shoot the stage in your detail .......

Excellent tip....I forgot to say it myself. That way you can watch what everyone else does like Ridwaan said. In rifle comp I use the time to figure out my come ups etc for distance by looking at the course of fire and attempting to come up with a strategy. I'll watch the guys shooting and try get ideas from what they are doing. Of course it's all good and well until my number is up.......LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    To be honest, no one cares if you hit a target or not at a shoot, or shoot a number of penalty targets, or fumble a reload, or look silly. As long as you are safe and listen to the RO everyone will be happy.
    This, and pull your weight in the detail.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast