Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: First club shoot and I am terrified

We're a small club,4 or 5 regular shooters and I've been shooting for a year or so now. All has been fine at club shoots (as I've know everyone for years) but at the end of last month I attended my first league shoot with guys from EL, I think there were about 20 shooters in total. I was so on my nerves the first range that I shot more misses and missed out targets that I ended on a 0 for the stage. Everyone in my squad came up to me after the stage and told me just to slow down, relax and enjoy myself and that everyone has nerves at some stage. Biggest thing was to just have fun. That settled the nerves and I went on to take 2nd in Production.

User

The biggest blow to many new shooters egos is that no cares what you do. You think everyone will be watching to see how you shoot the stage. Unless you're on a very short list of people they aren't. They will be loading mags, talking shit, checking Facebook or 1000 other things than carrying how you shoot.

UNLESS you aren't safe. Because then very rapidly every one will know who you are and try and avoid you. So don't be that guy.

Read the rule book. You may not understand all of it at first. That's fine. But read the rule book. It will help.

Pick up brass , patch targets and do all the other work expected of a member of a squad.

Don't be scared to tell people you're new. Most will be happy to help. Don't be scared to ask question. Guys will normally do everything they can to answer. Don't ask questions when the dudes on the line though. Or when he's the next shooter up and he's getting his shit together.

Watch the better shooters and learn from their actions. But don't try do things you can't yet do.

When a dude has just shot a stage in half the time you have with better score and he gives you advise. Don't tell him he's wrong because Instructor Zero or Barrett Fawbush on YouTube told you differently. Because his urge to help will dwindle rapidly.

Be safe (again)

Read the rule book (again)

Keep being safe.

User

I firmly believe memories are made, in part, by adrenaline rushes. If you are not nervous/shit scared of doing something for the first time, why bother? If there is absolutely no uncertainty in your mind when you do something, it is time to move on to the next thing. Which does not mean it goes away after five shoots. I have, to date, done 78 SADPA shoots. I still get a rush when the SO says "standby".

PS. I agree with the master reloader above that being safe is crucial.

User

When I stop shaking at the end of a stage it will be time to stop shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    That's pretty awesome. The tunnel vision, the "no idea what the time was", having to suddenly again look at people and get your doppies and mags, people saying "nice run" and you think "really? Oh".
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

The biggest blow to many new shooters egos is that no cares what you do. You think everyone will be watching to see how you shoot the stage. Unless you're on a very short list of people they aren't. They will be loading mags, talking shit, checking Facebook or 1000 other things than carrying how you shoot.

UNLESS you aren't safe. Because then very rapidly every one will know who you are and try and avoid you. So don't be that guy.

Read the rule book. You may not understand all of it at first. That's fine. But read the rule book. It will help.

Pick up brass , patch targets and do all the other work expected of a member of a squad.

Don't be scared to tell people you're new. Most will be happy to help. Don't be scared to ask question. Guys will normally do everything they can to answer. Don't ask questions when the dudes on the line though. Or when he's the next shooter up and he's getting his shit together.

Watch the better shooters and learn from their actions. But don't try do things you can't yet do.

When a dude has just shot a stage in half the time you have with better score and he gives you advise. Don't tell him he's wrong because Instructor Zero or Barrett Fawbush on YouTube told you differently. Because his urge to help will dwindle rapidly.

Keep being safe.
    Wise you are

User

Just go and enjoy it, like all the other members here said.

I can share with you what I did at one shoot where one of the other club members offered me to do a shotgun round (something like 10 "enemy" plates, plus 2 "friendly" plates) with his Saiga. I had such an adrenaline rush that I literally shot EVERY plate - including the friendly ones! Needless to say, it made for a good laugh and we all just laughed and had a good time.

User

Quote of the day

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    To be honest, no one cares if you hit a target or not at a shoot, or shoot a number of penalty targets, or fumble a reload, or look silly. As long as you are safe and listen to the RO everyone will be happy.

It's like golf, everyone has to start somewhere and every person shooting at the match started off as a novice.

Relax, find someone that will help you through the match and most importantly, take your time and be safe.
    Great advice. The only thing I can emphasize here is, take your time. Slow and precise will get you through safely and hopefully with minimal points down.

User

Damn definitely, esp when you're on the line!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast