Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: First club shoot and I am terrified

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    The biggest blow to many new shooters egos is that no cares what you do. You think everyone will be watching to see how you shoot the stage. Unless you're on a very short list of people they aren't. They will be loading mags, talking shit, checking Facebook or 1000 other things than carrying how you shoot.

UNLESS you aren't safe. Because then very rapidly every one will know who you are and try and avoid you. So don't be that guy.

Read the rule book. You may not understand all of it at first. That's fine. But read the rule book. It will help.

Pick up brass , patch targets and do all the other work expected of a member of a squad.

Don't be scared to tell people you're new. Most will be happy to help. Don't be scared to ask question. Guys will normally do everything they can to answer. Don't ask questions when the dudes on the line though. Or when he's the next shooter up and he's getting his shit together.

Watch the better shooters and learn from their actions. But don't try do things you can't yet do.

When a dude has just shot a stage in half the time you have with better score and he gives you advise. Don't tell him he's wrong because Instructor Zero or Barrett Fawbush on YouTube told you differently. Because his urge to help will dwindle rapidly.

Be safe (again)

Read the rule book (again)

Keep being safe.
    Great post, thanks for that. Once my license is approved I will probably be in the same position as the OP.

User

The biggest blow to many new shooters egos is that no cares what you do. You think everyone will be watching to see how you shoot the stage. Unless you're on a very short list of people they aren't. They will be loading mags, talking shit, checking Facebook or 1000 other things than carrying how you shoot.

UNLESS you aren't safe. Because then very rapidly every one will know who you are and try and avoid you. So don't be that guy.

Read the rule book. You may not understand all of it at first. That's fine. But read the rule book. It will help.

Pick up brass , patch targets and do all the other work expected of a member of a squad.

Don't be scared to tell people you're new. Most will be happy to help. Don't be scared to ask question. Guys will normally do everything they can to answer. Don't ask questions when the dudes on the line though. Or when he's the next shooter up and he's getting his shit together.

Watch the better shooters and learn from their actions. But don't try do things you can't yet do.

When a dude has just shot a stage in half the time you have with better score and he gives you advise. Don't tell him he's wrong because Instructor Zero or Barrett Fawbush on YouTube told you differently. Because his urge to help will dwindle rapidly.

Be safe (again)

Read the rule book (again)

Keep being safe.
    Bull!! I've seen you laugh then look on in shock horror ....

I kid, great tips above and remember you're with some on the nicest people around so relax and drink plenty of water.

User

When I stop shaking at the end of a stage it will be time to stop shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    That's pretty awesome. The tunnel vision, the "no idea what the time was", having to suddenly again look at people and get your doppies and mags, people saying "nice run" and you think "really? Oh".
    Winning! Great post\s.

If someone laughs... you should be comfortable enough to laugh with them.

There are very few self absorbed egotistical types on the range... because the environment is not suitable to cultivate them. So, don't be that guy... and you will be very happy on the range.

Quote Originally Posted by G33 View Post
    d so relax and drink plenty of water.
    All of the above and this...keep hydrated, have something to eat and use sun block. Be safe.
    www.480bc.co.za
    EDC, Sport Shooting, Reloading

User

Take it slow and be safe, and watch out for the adrenaline dump. After the first stage of my first match in ages recently I was shaking so badly I could hardly get the gun back in the holster!

User

Lots of good advice given here. I would summarize it as: rather shoot slow(er) and safe at first. Watch and learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions and do your part on the range. Enjoy, it is ok to have a blast.

And if, horror of horrors, you manage to get a DQ on your very first shoot, learn from it, do not get your undies in a knot and storm off to your car to disappear over the horizon. Go and bag your gun, stick with your squad and keep on watching and learning while you do your bit. You will earn respect this way.

User

Quote Originally Posted by jordens View Post
    Ok thanks helps alot I have allready decided to shoot in the next club event in March I just need to get the first one behind me then I think it would go better
    Which club are you doing the shoot? Have you completed the qualifier or will you be doing that before the shoot?

User

Lots of good advice above. Nothing to add except to flog the horse a bit...... Take it slower than you think you should and watch your finger and muzzle direction.

User

One thing I can maybe add, listen to the SO and ask if you are not sure. Some SO's could rattle you and make you feel you should rather shut up than ask, or ask the noob next to you who also know shit.

The SO's is only human, except if you are unsafe. But event then most will ask you nicely to pack your shit and go, remember they feel as bad as you for sending you packing.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie69 View Post
    Which club are you doing the shoot? Have you completed the qualifier or will you be doing that before the shoot?
    Club shoots require some sort of vetting, unless the club allows visitors to participate.
    League shoots require 'the qualifier' to be taken prior to shooting a match.

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast